Anyone Read This????

Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

Pluff, here is the thread that has been discussing this - interesting reading as well, IMO - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=318191

Vickie

Just a word of caution - some Canadian reefers in the past have run into problems using Arm & Hammer washing soda in their reefs. It seems that in certain areas, the washing soda contains perfumes and surface enhancers that are NOT listed (not required by law either) on the box. Perfumes we can smell but the surface enhancers we can't. If memory serves me correctly (I don't have time to search for the info right now) the surface enhancers change the surface tension of water. Fish use this surface tension in their gills to absorb oxygen without drowning.

Going by memory again - I believe that Baking Soda does not contain these additives. I have been using Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, without problems, to boost alk.

FYI

Vickie

ATC
    Momrules emailed this to the ARRG group so that you can use baking soda and not skew the alk-pH balance (washing soda is carbonate and baking soda is bi-carbonate)....

Alkalinity Buffer
    Buy the biggest box of baking soda you can find. Take out about 1/6 of it and heat it on a clean baking sheet in the oven at about 300F for an hour or so. This will turn it into washing soda. Mix it back into the baking soda. Presto! Alk buffer! I keep mine in a big jar and write on it how much I need to add weekly. My tank takes about 1 TBSP twice a week to keep the alk at 9-11ish. I stir the spoonful of soda into a cupful of RO water until it is all dissolved and slowly pour it directly into my tank where there is good flow. Cheap and easy! And no unwanted supplements.
    Aven