Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

another stocking question

Hi,

I have a 55G tank. I'm not looking to add another fish any time soon, but just wondering what your thoughts are on whether or not I have anymore room. I have 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 yellow wrasse, and one royal gramma...Corals are some mushrooms and a finger leather.

Do I have anymore room for some small fishies like the green chromis (2-3 small ones) or any other small/peaceful fishies? Or would I be pushing it?

I'm perfectly happy with what I have...just wondering if you feel I could add some more. Thanks.
    thanks.
    thien

IMO you should be ok adding a couple of more fish. chromis should be fine or even gobies

I wouldn't go with chromis, IME they do best when in groups (ie. 3+) and I had some in a 72gal with a pair of percs, which was fine till they got big then they got aggressive & had to remove them. Your tank is smaller and with the other fish you already have you may run into aggressive behavior problems later then try to get them out.

I'd go with some smaller fish like gobies as well.

I agree, you could probably go with a couple more small fish but I'd skip the chromis. Have you considered a bicolor or midas blenny? They are very fun fish to watch. Or perhaps a flasher or fairy wrasse, they are very beautiful.
    Susan

hmmm....I always read that chromis were the "peaceful" type of damsels. And of course, their "price is right"!!...but sounds like it might not be a good choice in a small tank. Susan, would you elaborate on why not green chromis?
    I will look into all your suggestions (thanks!) and read up over the next little while.

I thought of chromis cuz I like fishies that swim all over the tank. I've already got the stay at home in their corner fishies in the clowns and gramma. Love the yellow wrasse cuz they're all over the place.

Any other ones?
    thanks.
    thien

Cake Fan, what type of chromis did you have? Blue? I have six green and they are extremely peaceful and never bother a thing. I have never heard of green chromis showing any signs of aggression. Just curious as to the species you had that were aggressive.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

THien, I love my chromis for that very reason. They are very active and you always see them. As soon as I added them my tank looked more like a natural reef to me. A four foot long tank gives them plenty of swimming room, and they don't get very big- BUT because they are SO active they have a high metabolic rate, eat more and poop more than the other fish I have so that is something you need to consider. A good skimmer will help to maintain your water quality. These may be "cheap" fish, but they have tons of personality and will attack the food and dance for you at supper time.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

I've never kept chromis myself. I just didn't think two would be a very good idea as they seem to do better in larger groups. Two may be too shy to come out of hiding. They are braver in numbers.
    Susan

Susan is right. They like company. I have six. One has stayed very small, but even the biggest is not much over 2".
    Gail in Nova Scotia

I had some green chromis and at first they were great but then after they got big the biggest one would make sure that he was always the alpha.

By that I mean he would swim behind him and nip the others no matter what they did, then go back to the front. He was a real dictator then him and his buddies started on my clowns, that's when they went bye.

I suggested that he didn't go with chromis because he'd be pushing the limits of him tank adding a small school and the smaller the tank the more IMO aggresive behavior is spawned.

I've had to fish out 1x azure damsel (first fish and he was fine for 1yr) and 3x chromis(they weren't in the tank at the same time). I had to literally rip my tank apart and get my husband help me catch them, I'd hate to see someone go thru what I did trying to remove them so hense my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast