Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

stocking a 33 gal

ok i have a 33 gal i'd like to setup as SW and was wondering if or how this looks as far as stocking goes.

2 percs
    1 half black angel
    1 bangaii cardinal
    1 midas blenny

too much or should i be fine, any comments or problems on selection??

Thanks
    Craig

Looks fine to me. I'd add the angel last so that it doesn't get too territorial and bother any newcomers.
    Susan

Thansk susan...that was the plan and im not totally sold on the cardinal yet but woudl repace it with somethign similar

Craig
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

Craig, the rule of thumb is 1 inch of adult fish for every 5 gallons of water. This does not take into account territory or swimming requirements. Following this rule, you should have 6.6 inches of adult fish. Everyone seems to overstock to a certain extent thanks to the skimmers adding oxygen to the water but what happens if the power/skimmer quits?

Just something to think about.

Vickie

well looks like im way overstocked then...might consider taking out a couple but he angel has to stay! and i need a clown for the boys all they want is a "nemo"

Craig
    Craig

Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

forgot to mention im putting a 20 gal refugium onto it as well however if the power goes out flow from that will stop as well so how would that work vickie do i still go volume of main tank??

Craig
    Craig

I have a 29G and will have 2 clowns, a dwarf angel and a small wrasse when I am done. I've bounced that list by a few folks and they think it's an acceptable load. Other tanks this size have similar load. Your list seems in the same ballpark (in a slightly larger tank). You might play with the Bagaii and blenny (maybe only get one?).
    Nick

I've posted this link before - http://www.aquariumpros.com/articles/stockguide.shtml It explains what this "rule" is based on so you can make an intelligent decision for your tank.

When my kids were younger, I was very careful not to overstock as I didn't want to have to explain why a fish they were attached to died. Now, when my tank is done, I will be slightly overstocked (1 inch of fish per 4 gallons). That, is an acceptable level to me. I also hope my fish won't reach the maximum length

Vickie

k thanks vickie i appreciate the help thats why i posted to get the proper info to make upm own mind later

Craig
    Craig

Many people don't seem to like the 'x" of fish per gallon' rule of thumb because it assumes that fish are 'equal'. Some fish demand more oxygen and produce more waste than other fish of the same size. Especially active fish. It also assumes that the length of a fish is directly related to its metabolic requirements. It doesn't take into account territoriality issues (as was noted by Vickie).

I also note that the site referenced for the 'rule of thumb' seems to be focussed on wet/dry and similar type filters with only limited mention of live rock and skimmers. Slowly increasing the demand on the bioloigcal filter will lead to an increase in nitrifying bacteria rather than to an increase in ammonia/nitrite levels.

I thnk that the experience of most people is that they can safely have more than 1"/5G of fish in a well tended and slowly stocked system. I thnik that most people are more worried about territorality and compatibility issues than bioload (as long as we stay within reason )
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast