Reusing Phosphate sponge?

My phoshate levels were off the chart, so I had to perform a series of water changes before I could start using a phoshate sponge.

My levels are now at .4 and I would hate to purchase another expensive container of phosphate sponge to remove the remaing phosphate. I was wondering if you could somehow rinse off the sponge and reuse it.

I used a Kent Phosphate sponge.

it say's on the label that you can recharge it in the oven does'nt it? id try it and if it does'nt take all the phosphate's out then buy a new one IMO
    it would be good to hear what the experts have to say though

I've been battling the phsophate demon too. Routinely take the used sponge and bake at 450F for 1 hour then reuse, but only once.

The 650g container I used previously makes no mention of reuse. However, the 1.3kg container I just purchsed does have instructions for reuse (renewal). I haven't really found the source of my phosphate problem, so I am sure I will be reusing my sponge. Thanks.

Why do you have such high phosphate levels that you require the use of a removing agent?

I purchased a used saltwater tank with live rocks, lava rocks and gravel. I can only assume the previous owner accumulated phosphates in his rocks and gravel. I am not really sure what the source of the phosphates is. I have performed several (5-6) 25% water changes. I was able to reduce the phosphates, but it's a little easier to use a sponge. Do you have any suggestions?

How much lava rock do you have. These can be a source.

Regardless, the phosphate is coming from somewhere. Do you use RO/DI water? How much do you feed your tank? What livestock do you have? Size of tank? Etc.

My point is that you can't just keep using phosphate sponge forever. It is coming from somewhere, and won't stop until you find a permenant solution.

I have a 90 gal tank with mostly live rocks (90lbs) and some lava rock (30lbs). I am debating purchasing an RO/DI unit, but I am not sure it will solve my phoshate problem, since I didn't record any level of phoshates from my tap water.

My plan was to get the phosphates down to a level which was manageable and not harmful to my tank inhabitants while trying to identify the source of the phoshates. Trying to identify the source of phosphates will be an exercise in trial and error. With phosphates at a more mangaeable level the coral and crustatians will be able to absorb the calcium and some reef custodians should help to keep the algae under control.

I am hoping the source of the phosphates had something to do with what the previous owner was putting in the tank (ie. food, water, additives.). Come to think of it I am using some of his food sources: Marine Flakes and Algae Wafers. The ingredients mention ascorbyl-2-polyphasphate. Could this be a source? I also feed frozen brine shrimp and frozen Entree twice a week.

This is becoming more of a chore than a hobby.

I've been in the same boat. Bought a FOWLR tank from a person who I understand overfed the fish for a long time. Big fat happy fish but high phosphates the built up and permeated the rocks / bed. This info came from the LFS who knew the previous owner well. I've been using RO water and doing 10% water changes every second week and using the phopsophate sponge regularly. Phosphate levels will stay <.2 ppm for a week or so, then inch their way back up, so I re-treat. I think I've got it licked now (touch wood) but remain vigilant.

This thread, while long, contains a lot of good info on possible sources of phosphates - http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/sh...threadid=28107 -

It might help you find your possible source(s)

Vickie