Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

turbo or astrea ?

What might be the principle differences or are the same ? If size is the only diff. as I've been told where's the fuzzy line ?

Neither i would go with margarita. they eat just as much food as turbos do (this per body size) and they wont knock over uyuor corals

My recommendation is to get a few of each kind. Some of the Astreas, Turbos, Margaritas, Ceriths. These are all good for cleaning your rockwork and glass, yet in different ways.

Mpleleaf, this site lists the various reef custodians and what their main target is. http://www.jlaquatics.com/static/livestock/janitors.htm It is a good starting point to know how many per gallon and what to get to clean up a variety of debris/algae.

Vickie

liv
    i would go with margaritas cauz they can usually sucessfully flip there body back.. the turbos.... well. too big.. and eventually die

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Read the link that Vickie provided, and follow Toutouche's advise. Get a mixture of different types.

Thanks for the link Vickie , I've just been confused over the two I've mentioned as I was told that they were the same snail only one was larger than the other . Right now I have two turbos , 10 astrea's , and hundreds of nassarius . I believe that the latter is what they are , small 3-5mils diameter and only seen at night. If someone can clear up the confusion on the first two ,that would be great ! I don't want all these astrea growing up to be turbos thou !
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

I've had astrea's for years and they IME don't get larger.
    Turbo's IME aren't worth the trouble, they're always turning themselves and other stuff over and don't work all that hard.

I like the margarita's & cerith, they eat *everywhere*, where as my astreas only like the rocks, I've hardly ever seen them on the glass.

Different people have different opinions. My opinion will seem to contradict Cakefan's. To me, Turbos and Astreas are the BEST for cleaning algae simply because they are the bigger snails and therefore cover the most ground the quickest. Astreas can get rather large too. If your tank is setup as a SPS tank and supplying good alk. and Ca., then the snails will grow quicker just like the corals. They build their shells the same way a coral builds it's skeleton.

Mpleleaf,
    They sound like Nassarius to me because of the size, but they shouldn't only be coming out at night. These guys bury in the sand all the time and keep their snout sticking out to smell for any food. When you feed your fish or corals, the Nassarius should instantly pop up out of the sand and scurry around in search of the food. Nassarius will NOT eat algae as they are carnivorous. They are an excellant part of the cleaners because they will consume any leftover food and anything that has died in the tank..., including other snails, fish, inverts, etc...

I do not have any problems with my Turbos or Astreas falling over. When they do however, they are'nt able to right themselves up because where they're natural habitat in the wild, it's usually rocky and they can grab on to something to flip over. In our tanks, they are more or less out of their environment and if they fall on the sand, they have nothing to grab onto and are not designed to grab/dig into the sand to flip themselves over. Nassarius are designed to live in a sandy habitat and you see this by how efficient they are at flipping themselves over when they fall on their backs.
    IMO, if your water parameters are all very good, you should never be having snails fall off the rocks or glass in the first place. If you notice them falling off, it's because they are weak and you should test your water for proper Alk and Ca levels. Most people don't realize that the "lowly snail" is one of the most sensitive animals to water conditions.

Margaritas are good because they go on the rocks and the glass and are somewhat smaller to get into smaller places.

Cerith's will mostly stay on the glass or rocks and dig into the sandbed line along the glass. They are also good for cleaning where the glass meets the sand and below the sand at that point. Turbos will go all over on the glass and rocks. Astreas too, but will hit the glass a bit more than the rocks. Nassarius usually only stay on the sand and are considered more a sand sifter and part of the clean up crew.
    None of my snails knock over corals because all my corals are glued into place.

I got a variety of snails when I bought my clean up crew and have not regretted it. Each snail has their area that they seem to concentrate on. I bought red legged hermits, scarlet hermits, emerald crabs, astrea, bumble bee, cerith, margarita, nassarius and turbos. There are some of all the criters still in my tank except the emerald crab (1 died within a week of getting it and the other one I haven't seen for months). I am down to 1 turbo because of falling off the rocks onto the sand. I will get getting more because they do an great job.

I did not buy as many as recommended for my tank since there was no fish or corals, there was no excess food for and I had to feed them. I have added one fighting conch since the first order. I am thinking that this fall, I will look at getting a few more as I now have enough excess food for them. I will be getting a variety again because, IMO, each does a good job in their own area.

Vickie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast