Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sleeping Clowns??

I am new to Marine Aquariums and my 55 gal tank has been running almost 5 weeks. One of my Clowns keeps going into or under a shell and appears to be taking a wee nap. Other than this it's behavour appears to be normal?? Is this fish ok? I have repeatedly tested the water and everything looks good as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance

Brad

Ya its probaly taking a nap or just hiding noting to worry about

Thats normal, mine love to "snuggle" in my polyps at night after the lights go out. They are used to sleeping in anemonies for protection, so they may feel uncomfortable just sleeping out in the open (sort of like sleeping without a sheet or blanket if you are used to one - its just not the same)
    Albert
    My Photos

Sadly, I have lost both clowns in the last 24 hours :-(
    The only thing I can think of, is everytime I add live rock I seem to lose fish?

I am thinking as the tank is only 5 weeks old, I should wait until at lease the first 6 weeks has passed and the tank should have cycled fully the first time before I replace the clowns?? I am still not getting any apparent negative results on the water tests so I have to admit to being at a loss as to why I am losing fish?? Other than the fact that after the last two additions of live rock, I have lost fish, first a Yellow Tang, now the 2 clowns, anybody have any suggestions what I should do?

How much live rock are you adding each time?
    What other fish are currently in the tank (is this the 55g)?
    What exactly are your water parameters?
    Keep passing the open windows!

Originally posted by Brad Straw
    Sadly, I have lost both clowns in the last 24 hours :-(
    The only thing I can think of, is everytime I add live rock I seem to lose fish?

I am thinking as the tank is only 5 weeks old, I should wait until at lease the first 6 weeks has passed and the tank should have cycled fully the first time before I replace the clowns?? I am still not getting any apparent negative results on the water tests so I have to admit to being at a loss as to why I am losing fish?? Other than the fact that after the last two additions of live rock, I have lost fish, first a Yellow Tang, now the 2 clowns, anybody have any suggestions what I should do?
    I'm sorry for your loss. You have several problems here,
    1) to many fish added in a small time span. With a new tank you should wait 2mths before adding in 1 fish then a month again before the next, you put in 3 fish within 5 weeks

2) you tank was probably not done completely cycling yet

Adding to many fish in at once to a new tank is a recipe for disaster even if it is done cycling. More mature tanks can withold a couple of new additions at a time but it's to much stress on a new system.

When you add in new l.r. you'll get an amonia spike and depending on how old your system is and if the rock is already cured or not will determine how much of a spike you get.

I would wait another month before adding any other fish and if you add more l.r. then that makes the waiting time longer.

you might want to wait till you tank is fully cycled before adding any more fish. I know its hard with all the excitement of a new set-up to stare into what would seem to be a lifeless tank. but patience here will deffinitely pay off.
    Albert
    My Photos

I've started a second tank just for cycling live rock. THat way I get no spikes, and am positive (or at least as much as anyone can be) that I will not overload my bioload when I move rock into my display tank.

My tank lay dormant for 7 weeks, 6 of which had no level flucuations, before I added anything (snails, etc). I know how hard it is to wait. Fortunately, by waiting, you acheive a healthier, happier tank.

I have not got the last water test results with me but based on what you have all told me, yea, I overstocked a new tank.

tank profile would be something like this

55 gal
    marineland 400 power filter- the two wheeled one
    about 35 lbs of live rocks last two additions were about 10 lbs each. 25lbs of which is Fiji, 10 lbs of Miaki (sic) for the 35lb total.

Remaining Inhabitants are
    3- Green Cromis
    2- Anenome crabs
    1- peppermint shrimp
    20- Turbo snails
    1- Feather duster.

I really appreciate all of the information you have all provided and will be following your instructions. Thanks very much and while I am saddened by our loss's we are learning and really love this. Thanks again.

Brad

Hi Brad, I agree you have added too many fish in such a short period. Your tank is cycling and you should be getting some readings that are out of whack. If everything keeps coming back good, I would maybe look into getting a new test kit, as some kits don't have that long of a shelf life, and you don't know how long it sat on the shelf at the store.(we had a calcium kit that failed after a few months.--good old hagen!!) Another option would be to take some water in to a pet store and have them test it. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast