Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

help picking a new fish

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on a second fish. I have a 25 gallon, one maroon clown, one cleaner shrimp, snails and crabs. My maroon does not seem to be aggressive, at least as much as can be seen with no fish. My fingers are not attacked, rocks are not thrown at the glass, etc. I will be getting a larger tank soon, and when that tank is mature enough, I will be adding a pair of mandarins. So the gist is, I need to pick a fish that will hold its own with a maroon clown, won't compete with the mandarins for food (granted the mandarins are almost a year away), and will be happy in a 25gal for the next few months (until I upgrade). I was thinking of an anthias, my husband wants a blackcap basslet or a blenny of some sort. Any suggestions? Sorry for rambling,

Sara

I would get a clenaer goby or a pair of cleaner gobies they will keep your fish clean of ich, they are bright, have a personality, and your maroon wont bother them
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

A pair of mandarins will need a MUCH bigger tank than a 25g. I've heard that you need a 100g just to support a single specimen. Two of them in a 25g would decimate the pod population in days and then slowly starve to death.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

I think the cleaner shrimp will take care of the ich chores... that Maroon will probably end up being trouble later on though... ( territorial ) you may want to reconsider on a second fish in a 25 gal if the new tank is only a few months away...
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

how bout a watchman goby. he should'nt have any territory issues with the GSM

Thanks everyone. Like I had said above, I won't be getting mandarins until my new, larger tank is set p. We're looking at 120, or 150gal (depends on how much my husband loves me The new tank is, in theory, a few months away, but we're vacationing in Aug, and we probably won't set it up before then, or if we do, it'll just be full of live rock.

The maroon has been alone for almost two months now. Still juvenile, so I'm hoping adding a new fish will be acceptable for her. Any more suggestions?
    Thanks.

Well you could pair them by adding either a larger or preferably a smaller specimen then seperate them so only the little on can go back and forth. That way they shoudl pair if you want more info on pairing these fish i have a lot of info you could use.
    Anybody can start a reef tank it takes a realy intrest in the hobby to maintain one.

Are GSM's more agressive than white striped? Mine's white, but I've many of the aggression issues I've read about seem to be gold striped.

i may be wrong but im under the impression that the white striped is more agro than the GSM

You are right Aquaman Joyce D. Wilkerson said in her book that she has paired both strains with the White stripe almost always being the female. They are the Hitler of the clownfish family

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast