Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY canopy

DIY canopy

Looking for some plans for a 48" long canopy. I am going to be adding a dual 400w cooltouch MH setup to my coralife PC's so a custom canopy is a must.( Time to go big or bust) Wondering if any of you have done this and could offer any suggestions. I was planning on keeping the lights atleast 12 - 16 inches above the tank center brace for heat reasons and adding 2 computer fans to each side of the canopy. One set to draw cool fresh air in, and the other set to haul the hot air out. Just wondering if this is a good idea or not. Anyways thnaks in advance for the input.

Hey John .. I don't have any plans but i can tell you that you really don't want any of your fans drawing air out. that humid air will cook the fan pretty fast. Just pressurize the hood with the other fan / fans and let the air escape out of another hole / holes .. or vent it to the outside if you think that will be necessary.
    Rob

had plans and pics but lost em in a recent format...could have swore i burned em all to disk but cant find it...i'll go through my old ones and see if i have some saved there
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

are you planning an open or closed canopy? it seems a shame to get some nice lights like those, then go and hang them that high.

If you are looking for DIY ideas, these two sites might have some things to consider.

Having recently had a clown jump and die :-( I've become concerned about open tanks. They look nice. But, how do you keep fish from jumping? Just choose non-jumpers?

http://www.ozreef.org/diy/index.html

http://www.cyberreefguru.com/diy/index.html
    Nick

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Here's my Canopy...

90gal Canopy plans

You may wanna check out this thread for any questions related to it...

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...ghlight=canopy
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

tang_man. Like your canopy and the thread. Do you cover the open area at the back of the canopy? Or cover the tank some other way. My clown jumped out a 16"x2" opening at the back of the canopy which was left for ventilation, etc..
    Nick

Yes,
    I now have placed eggcrate at the openings on the rear of the canopy. I had a prized Flasher wrasse go carpet surfing a couple of months ago because I had never gotten off my arse to put the "jump barrier".

Sorry to hear :-(

How have you placed the egg-crate? Over the top of the tank? Or glued/stpaled onto the canopy, hanging vertically?

Also, how do you cut egg-crate to shape? I've tried and find the cross-pieces break rather than cut, leaving an uneven (and wrong sized) edge.
    Nick

I placed the eggcrate against the back of the canopy, and cut it to form around any obstructions (plubing, etc) which fits snugly enough to hold it there.

I just use wire cutters to cut the squares one at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast