Planning assistance for future tank?

We are still in the planning stage for the "tank to be", but have read a bunch, and are trying to come up with a good design. Figure it'll be either a 60*24*24 or a 48*24*30 tank; either way it is 150 gallons. I like the longer tank for display purposes and for ease of reaching around in it. It's going to be drilled, but we aren't yet sure how many holes; we are thinking of a closed loop for circulation (2 holes) and somebody suggested a three hole closed loop using something called a squid... anyone know how well this works? Idea is I believe to have one intake in the center, and two outputs at either end, the squid somehow alternates which one gets the flow. Any advice about the drilling would be great, or even just a pointer to some good reads on circulation and so on. How big a pump do you need on a tank that size, for the closed loop and for the sump/refugium? I don't know how many gph it should be doing.

Not adding anything for your circulation query..., but I was just curious about the dimensions. Is the front to back depth the last measurement? Will it be 24" or 30"? If I were you, I'd plan for as much space for this as possible ( in otherwords..., 30"). Depth front to back is more important than GOLD in a reef tank!!! You'll never have enough to be satisfied when you aquascape!!

As a rule of thumb you should be turning the tanks total water volume over not less then 10 times per hour. So for this tank you should be looking at a pump that will move 1500 gallons an hour net. Net meaning after taking into account flow rate losses caused by the length of your plumbing lines, elbows etc. The closed loop is a good idea but I have heard that the squid cuts down the flow rates of pumps a lot. I actually have one that I have not put into use yet so I can not confirm if this is true or not. As for the drilling if you are referring to the location of the holes IMO the returns should be high in the tank above the corals or other decor and the pickup should be low in the tank. This set up will return water from the bottom that is in need of a gas exchange to the surface where that exchange can occur. I also do drilling but currently only do 2 and 1/2 inch holes. This is a good size as 1 and 1/2 inches bulkhead fittings fit right into the holes and can be reduced as necessary.
    Rob

Wow; 1500 gph... That's a lot of pump Hadn't thought about making the tank 30" wide (deep), was looking at a 30" deep (tall) tank, but I don't really like the light requirements for that kind of depth, so 24" tall would be best (plus it's easier to reach around in). I am assuming that the 1500 gph figure is for the sump/skimmer and to go through the refugia (but obviously less goes through the refugia or you'd wash everything out...), and that a seperate pump on the closed loop is used, with it's own flow. Is that about right? Do you mean total circulation @ about 1500 gph or is that the figure for the sump system?

Cool sara

a few suggestions, look into the SEQUENCE PUMPS! they are getting rave reviews and have lots of power. you'd have to figure out which pump you want as there are a few models.
    The SQUID is starting to come back with troubles as I've read and like SALTYDOG said it apperently realy cuts back your flow.
    holes can be drilled either in the back or sides depending on how many viewing angles you want.

Does anyone have any experience with tanks drilled in the bottom? The one we're looking at is 48" long and will have three holes drilled into the bottom. Yea, nay?

Are they drilles in the corners? and what diameter are the holes? I don't think you want holes somewhere in the middle of the tank- what happens if after the tank is up and running for a year and for some unforseen reason one of the bulkheads starts to leak from a hole in the middle of the tank? This would mean a total take down to fix the problem. Not worth the 'deal' on the tank IMO. If they are in the corners and you can put overflow plates around them, then o.k.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high