Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

copperband butterfly reef compatability

Just wondering how compatable a copperband butterfly ( specifically the one's that Ivan offers) will be in a tank will button polyps, mushrooms, star polyps, a bta and a squamosa clam. I now that every fish is different and offers different experiences, but just wondering if it is a suitable fish to add. If not I was considering adding a carpenter wrasse or a blue sided wrasse. The only other wrasse's in the tank are a sixline wrasse and a cleaner wrasse. Thanks in advance for the advice.

dunno about that in your 55 with the large fish you already have.
    it seems big but a 55 is rather small for a copperband
    just MO

IMO the copperband would be fine with the corals, as long as it's kept feed it shouldn't go looking for food. But I have to agree with aquamann, 55g is a pretty small tank for that fish.

I think the copperband is fine in a reef- it will eat any feather duster worms, big or small and aptasia anemones if you have, but it should leave everything else alone. In terms of size, as long as it isn't too big to begin with, i don't see a real problem. They are not big eaters in captivity (usually) and the chances of it growing to an unreasonable size in your tank are slim- not non-existant, but slim.
    Your six line may chase the carpenters wrasse out of your tank as well as the fairy- they are both jumpers...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

CBB's are fine for reef tanks !..

I have one and have had no issues whats so ever.. The only problems people have with CBs are that they tend to starve.. as they are very picky eatters!

what about his tank size?

I agree that copperbands are fine in a reef as long as they are well fed but I really feel that a 55g is too small for one. These are the fastest growing fish I've ever seen. They love to pick off live rock and really need more room.
    Susan

I agree with Flame..

Because they are not allways willing to eat prepared foods.. and when they do atleast mine does not chase it.. So he is allways picking around.. So i would really recommend at least a 90 Gallon tank for it. Every where i have read has said 50 gallon or more.. Which is fine if you have one eatting everything you add to the tank.. But to have enough natural foods for him to eat i would say a 90 gallon. with 100 pounds of rock.

Remember they eat mostly , Aptasia, small feather dusters and stuff.. So the more the rock the better.

Scott Michaels book recommends 75g minimum but personally I'd say 90g+ would be best.
    Susan

Thanks for the advice guys. Will hold off until I get a bigger tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast