How long can top up water sit?

I've read that it is a good idea to mix additives in top up water and let it sit for a while prior to adding it to the tank. Well I perpared way more than I needed and some of the water has been sitting in a bucket for more than a week now. Is there any problem associated with letting water sit for an extended period of time?

Just keep it moving with a powerhead or air pump and you'll be fine.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

It also depends on what's in the top off water.
    I'd use Kalk a.s.a.p, unless you add vinegar, then you'll get extra mileage from the solution.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

you add vinegar to you kalk tiff?
    Albert
    My Photos

Tiffany, I don't understand where the kalk and vinegar come into play here.
    Matt.

My top off doesn't contain any Kalk. I mostly use the Seachem products: Reef Plus, Advantage Calcium and Reef builder. I occasionally user Coral Vite. Can I get away with stirring it up before I add it to the tank?

If you mean stirring up all of the products mentioned above in one mixture--ABSOLUTELY NOT. Adv. calcium and Builder mixed together will cause the calcium to precipitate out of solution because the builder will raise the alkalinity too high. You'll end up just buffering the tank and not adding any calcium. These two have to be mixed seperately. And if I'm not mistaken, Reef plus has some vitamin that has to be refrigerated (vitamin b or d or something) so it would probably go bad. Once a week shots of reef plus is probably fine.
    Keep in mind that you won't need a whole lot of the calcium and builder (or vitamins, for that matter) if your tank isn't too stocked with corals.
    Do you test alkalinity, ph and calcium levels?
    Oh, I see triathlon, are you doing any of the distances in Ottawa this weekend as a primer?
    Matt.

Yes I do test for all three levels: alk=10, ph=8.2, calcium=375. I don't have many corals right now, just a few frags and a feather duster. I thought the calcium would be beneficial to the snalis and it would encourage growth of macro algae.

No, I am not racing this weekend. I am taking a year off from racing. I have competed for the las 4 years, so I need a break, especially after completing my first Ironman last year.

Thanks for the info. I will stop mixing them together.

ALRHA: Some folks add vinegar to their Kalk mix to give it a "boost". Here's a couple of articles that discuss it in a little more detail:

http://www.reef-aquarium.net/resourc...alkwasser.html

http://web.archive.org/web/200304181...io/default.asp
    Keep passing the open windows!

Pickoff, the calcium would definetly be beneficial for the inverts in your tank as well as corraline algea growth. I think you will find that calcium level go up a little now that you aren't mixing those two products together anymore.

My wife competed for 5 years in triathlon and then went to ironman 4 years ago until stopping for real life ( a job!) -It takes it's tole on the body and lives of all involved!! Enjoy the break!!

I used to use vinegar in my kw- it increased the alk and calcium somewhat in my mixture, but it was going into such a stocked tank (200 gal sps) that I didn't really notice a positive effect overall- calcium reactor is the only way to go at that point...
    Matt.