Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Setup Shopping List

Hi all,

I'm looking at setting up my first tank as detailed bellow and was just wondering if anybody has any tips, suggestions, reccomendations, etc... about the following list... I was also wondering if someone can reccomend an alternative to Southdown sand and any other ways I may be able to cut costs.... I'm also looking for a good cost-effective lighting solution using the WH7 ballast and VHO bulbs.

thanks, any and all comments are greatly appreciated....
    Nick.

Item Description Cost
    ========= ================ ==========

Tank 40 gallon 36x18x15 $115.00

Pumps 2 MP1200 maxijets @ 40$ each $80.00
    Skimmer Remora $260.00
    Heater 200w $35.00
    Stand standard cheap stand $130.00
    Salt Instant Ocean 200gal $50.00
    lights some type of WH7 VHO setup…. ??????
    testki $50.00
    Sand no idea what to do about this…. ???????
    Live Rock 50 lbs ???????

Marinescapes has a wicked skimmer that they make themselves.
    I think it is around $225-$240. It will easily do your tank size.

You could make your own rock from Portland cement and oyster shells. There are tons of web sites that show you how. Most notable is GARF.

Someone on this board bought some BOMIX sand which is similar to Southdown. They sell it at Rona for $5 a bag.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

Ha, I should have mentioned I'm out in Fredericton, NB. We don't have a RONA out here but maybe they sell the sand at Kents, Canadian tire or home hardware.... their is also a home depot an hour away.

The marineescapes skimmer sounds like a good idea.. I'll have to see if I can find a website.

If anyone knows of any used equipment kickin around for sale, please send along the info... anything to save a few bucks

Nick.

I'll second Referboy's recommendations for the MS skimmer. I have one and it works just fine.

Here are some of my thoughts:

Aquarium: get it drilled now while you still can. Even if you don't plan on having a sump or a refugium, just cap the holes.

Stand: I assume you are talking about one of those black metal stands. While you can build a nice looking wrap around for it later, I can attest to what a PITA it is to move a tank so you might want to get a nice one in the beginning.

Sand: check out this discussion about half way down: http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...0&pagenumber=3

The reason Southdown is so preferred, is because it is aragonite based, the right grain size, and way cheaper than the Carib Sea stuff. Don't worry about getting any "live sand", your live rock will make your sand live soon enough. I for one will offer to donate a cup of sand from my tank to get your bed stared.

Live Rock: Depending one how fast you want things to go, if you are trying to save money, get the minimum amount of actual live rock, and for the rest use "dead rock". At least half of the rock in my tank was "dead rock" that I added and became live in a couple of months. I get it from Big Al's and have used the "coral rock" (very white) and the Tufa rock. My preference is the Tufa, since it is very light and very porous. BTW, the dead rock gets covered in coraline much faster if it is on top, not underneath the "live rock".

Opps, I didn't see your post above mine. I assumed you were in the Ottawa area.

GOOD INFO

my main advice, [as already mentioned] is go reefready right from the start. This means buying a drilled tank with an overflow. Your lights will be fine for a 40g. Because you are going with a 40g[smallish tank] just buy the carabsea sand[reefsand] you will probaly only need 2 bags but if you were going for a bigger tank I would say look for white sandblasting sand available at HD or check your local brick and mortor shops. Then you could put 1 bag on top of the other sand to give it a more natural look.I would also say go with a sump[any old 20g tank] as you can put all you junk in there. ie; skimmers, heaters and you can build returns instead of power heads. I to would also go half base rock and half live rock.

Alright,

As far as drilling goes that's not an option... only one place to get tanks here in town and it would probably cost me a few hundred bucks to get it drilled....

I'l go with 50/50 base/liverock for sure....

Now the only other predicament is where to find some southdown or caribsea sand...

are you saying that there is no reeftanks or reefsand in FREDERICTON? how big is that town? If not , were is the closiest city. I would honestly take a road trip and get a reeftank and reefsand and life rock. You will see down the road as you advance in this hobbie that you will regret not going this route[a lot of us have] because then when you want to go bigger or more pro you will have a hard time getting your money back from the tank you've already bought. This by far is not a cheap hobbie as you will soon learn but it cost a lot more if you don't start off on the right foot.I've changed my tank,lights and pumps because I let my wife choose the first tank that was non drilled and I paid way to much. also, drilling a tank is not that expensive, it cost me $25 a hole! look for a used tank if you can and get it drilled or look for a reef setup.were just trying to save you some heartache and coin in the longrun.I drive sometimes 11/2 hours to MONTREAL to check for stuff and I sold my first tank to a guy on here from MONTREAL. I hope I help my friend.P.S, I would start off with a 90gallon

Sage words Johnny.

well, the nearest reef store is probably in halifax which is 5 hours away from here... (Fredericton is about 40-50k in size)... as for going for anything bigger than 40gal is pretty much out of the question due to the size of my appartment. And for drilling, I'm probably better not drilling cause I'll probably want to upgrade in a few years and NOBODY around here would buy a tank with holes in it ..... I know you guys are trying to point me in the right direction and thanks alot for your help but I'm gonna have to stick with that current setup for getting me feet off the ground... don't think I have much of a choice....

Nick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast