Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

missing purple dartfish

Well I'm pissed....I have not seen my purple dartfish since Monday night prior lights out.

I had it in the bag in the tank for an 60 to 90 minutes then I dripped tank water for another 60 to 90 minutes in to the bag before putting him into his new home. I feed the tank a little prior putting him in then did my normal night feeding of slow sinking marine pellets and frozen brine. He ate like no tommorow. He pick a spot up by the front cave and the only guy interest was the yellow wrasse and that was just in passing while he was hunting.

All other fish are present. two oc, three chromis...1 yellow wrasse. 6 blue leg hermits. 6 arstial snails. yellow pop and puprle thing from Momrules that I forgets it name all doing great. Check all parmeters ... all the same 1.026. 80F 0.1 nitrie ,5 nitrate, 440 cal. I did a 20% water change just in case.

I know they can hid under the sand. I'm hoping he as like Flame Angels Rastin. Just chilling out under the sand for a couple of days.

There is a cover on the tank. I checked everywhere just in case. floor inbehind all around. Look all over and the pump/skimmer etc. no luck.....Any Ideas.

Or is this one of these cases. week fish from pet store long travel and wouldn't have made it no matter what?

Cman

Cman - I know it's frustrating but it hasn't been long enough to be concerned yet. Dartfish are skittish and it's not that uncommon for them to hide for the whole first week they're in a new tank.
    Susan

I Hope you are right Flame... I really like that little guy...

PS.. Did you check out Pets Unlimited in Burnside.

Yup, stopped in there tonight. Orange shoulder tang is amazing. I really liked the lemon butterfly too.
    Susan

Still no sign yet and its been four days.....

keep hope alive
    have you been testing your water for an ammonia spike that a dead fish would probably cause?
    they can hide for a while. you would most likely see some remnants floating around in your tank if he were dead.
    good luck

Thats just it The water is good. test kits have not expired. No foalting dead fish parts and I only have a couple of hermits and a couple of snails . Nothing big enough to eat it that fast

oops,
    i did'nt realize you had a 70 gal. it probably would'nt cause a spike in that much water

I wouldn't have thought that 3 chromis and a yellow wrasse would be scary enough to make a firefish hide that long. It's still quite possible that he'll just show up though, I've certainly heard of them hiding longer.
    Susan

no worrys my friends hid in a cave for 2 months and didnt come ou till he got a marine betta that ended up chaiseing him out of the cave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast