Stages of Setting up a Tank

Hi All,

As I am looking into setting up my first tank I am wondering what components need to be purchased right of the start (ie tank, stand, heater) and what can be purchased later on (skimmer?,lighting?)....

Can the skimmer and lighting wait until after the cycling process ? Could I even hold off on these a little longer than that ? Would it be possible to buy just the tank, powerheads, heater and liverock then let the system cycle with the liverock and sand for a month or two before purchasing the skimmer and lighting ?

comments ? suggestions ?

thanks,
    Nick.

The skimmer can wait a little longer, but I'd recommend the lighting (just normal output flourescent will do) right from the start. All life forms, including the life on the live rock, need a bit of light to survive, especially the beneficial coralline algae. But if you could throw in your regular lighting, you can fine tune your temperature of the tank because if you add VHO, PC or MH lights later, you will change the temperature of the tank, esp. with MH lights. MH lights do emit quite a lot of heat.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

I'll be going with VHO lighting right off the start... how soon would you reccomend getting a skimmer ? Can anything else be put off temporarilly ?

thanks,
    Nick.

i think you should go with vho right of the start