Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank Size

Tank Size

I am looking to upgrade my 72 gal tank to something bigger. On the wall where i currently have it, i can probably not go more than 50" wide (i would stay with 48" as most lights etc. are made to that size) and i can do 24" out from the wall. how high (deep) can i make this tank? and how much water would it hold?
    would i need to get a custom tank? or are there tanks in those sizes? and where would be the best place to buy such a tank along with cabinetry?
    thanks for your advice.
    Albert
    My Photos

48"x24"x24" is a standard 120G tank. THese should be avaialble from most marine stores I would expect without a need for custom work.

If you went 30" deep, the volume would increase to 150G and 36" deep would be 180G. From what I've read and seen, 30" is about as high as you can go and still be able to reach the bottom with your hand.
    Nick

Depends on the arm, I can barely reach the bottom of my 120g that is 24" high Also, keep in mind that the deeper the tank the stronger the lighting needed.
    Susan

wow, thanks. As far as lighting, i would of course put MH on such a tank. now my question is, how do you reach then into tanks that you can reach in to? do i need to get out my scuba gear? or would snorkeling be fine? is the 180G (48x24x36) a size one can buy? or would i need to get that custom made? should i get it in glass like my current tank? or would i be better off with acrylic? and lastly, how much would a 180 weigh? and would the average floor be able to support it? or would i need someone to build me some sort of reinforcement for it?
    thanks guys.
    Albert
    My Photos

I'm setting up a 300g acrylic right now. It's too tall for me to reach the bottom of but I have a big set of aquarium tongs that I'll use when necessary.
    Susan

i guess that should work.
    and what made you choose acrylic as opposed to glass? did you somehow reinforce your floor for it?
    Albert
    My Photos

24x36x48 weighs in at about 270 pnds empty,
    4x2 (bottom surface) 8 square feet...sand is about 6.5 pnds per inch of square foot..so say a 3 inch sand bed, 6.5 x 3 x 8 = 156 pnds.... live rock at 1 pnd per gal = 180 pnds ..now all that sand and rock will displace water so you'll have about 141 gallons of water @ approximately 8.5 pnds per gallon sooo 141x8.5=1198.5 pnds. now we add it all up

270+156+180+1198.5=1804.5

so approximately 1800pnds
    so try to keep it aganist a loadbearing wall at the minimum, brace it from the level under if possible =)

Tic
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

I will be reinforcing the floor this weekend actually. I went with acrylic because I really like the look of the clean seams - no silicone. It's a Tenecor and is completely enclosed so there should be very little evaporation. Acrylic is lighter, clearer, stronger and insulates better than glass too. The only downside I can see is that it scratches easier but I bought kits that allow you to buff out any scratches while the tank is running without risking the inhabitants. It took four guys to get it in the house, I don't think I would have gotten a glass one in.
    Susan

If you set up that 180 gallon, then adding extra floor supports is a must. You will have to add to that 1800 pound amount the weight of the stand. A stand to support 1800 of water, rock, sand, tank and any other equipment will be close to 200 pounds thant brings the total to approx 2000lbs. Thats a lot of weight on a floor thats re - enforced some how. Like tictoc suggested brace from directly underneath if possible. Nice upgrade though by the way. Best of luck with it.

ok, so i will have to make sure to somehow find a guy to reinforce it from below. Thanks for all your help guys.

now i did some measuring in my spot, and i can actually squeeze in a 60x24x36 there.
    1) how many gallons would that now be? (i assume it will also bounce my weight up even further - probably will need to have someone build a support for over 3000lbs)
    2) this would require my tank to be up against the wall in a corner. my current tank has space between it and the wall allowing me to use hang-on stuff and reach behind it if i ever needed to. but all nice tanks i see appear to be right up against the wall. i can leave perhaps an inch or 2 on the side so that i can run wires down. let me know what are your thoughts/experiences with putting against a wall.
    (i am just trying to get as big a tank as i can fit into the space). my current tank is not drilled, and i bet i better drill my new tank, so that would require a sump as well. can the drain and return be drilled into the bottom? or does it need to be into a side? and is it best to do it via an overflow? lastly, i am considering just drilling a hole right through my floor and have the sump in my basement, this would save a lot of noise and space. any objections to this?

it seems also that i may be better off going with the acrylic based on flame's resoning.

thanks again for everythig guys. its a lot of work to jump into a huge tank like that, and your experiences and knowledge really are helpful. after a year i finally got the caretaking stuff down, but am still a newbie when it comes to tank set-ups as all i did the first time was buy a tank, fill it with water and put some hang-on-stuff on it. this obviously requires a lot more planning.
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast