Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tank leveling??

tank leveling??

Does it really matter if the water in my tank is 1/8 to 1/4 inche off?

How big is the tank? If it's only 10, 20 gallon it wouldn't make a big deal. But if you start getting into the hundreds then you put alot of pressure on point in the tank. I know I had an 80 break on me, du to not leveling properly.

its a 150 gallons...what do you do?empty the tank and then shim it or palce a tapered shim underneath by hitting it with a hammer?
    Derik...

HAMMER!!!???!!!aaaaaeeeeeiiiiii!!! You should empty the tank and shim it..
    But, how long has it been like this and is it one corner that is off or one whole side? If it is the whole side that it off, it is not as bad and at 1/4 or 1/8 inch- I wouldn't really consider it an issue. If it is one corner which seems off from all the others- THAT is more of an issue, even at that small amount.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

well its a rectangular tank and when you look at it from the side its ok its only when you look at it from the front you can see that the water level is a bit more on the left side than on the right side.When i put the level on, the bubble is just a tad out of the line.
    Derik...

Well, I think you are probably just fine. But, if it were my tank, and it was new and had one fish in it, and wasn't a huge ordeal to empty it and level it, I would.
    I don't think you HAVE to, but you might get sick of seeing the water line on one side of your tank all the time.
    Now is the time to do it right, before you have too much stock and can't do it ever...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

yes thats right...150 gallons is alot to empty thought but i guess i will have to do it.how much do you think a tank can off until it starts to be a probelm?
    Derik...

LEVEL IT !!!! It is CRITICAL to be level from front to back across apposing corners so that the bottom pane dose not get subjected to a twisting action. It will BREAK really fast if this happens. Thats also why proper floor support is necessary under BIG tanks. If the floor is not capable of supporting the tanks weight you have NO CONTROL over how it will settle.
    Rob

I am on ciment with a flotting floor.It is level from front to back it is just a tad from left to right.....????
    Derik...

OH floating floor on concrete ... Is that floor installed on that foam underlay? technically your not suppose to put something as heavy as an aquarium on those floors because it defeats the ability of the floor to move and doing so will VOID the manufactures warranty if you ever see any buckling of the floor. Every house is different and this may not be an issue for you but be warned. When you get this tank filled and it is fully settled you may also see some upward displacement of the floor right around the tanks feet. In any case as has been said above shim it up on the low end and avoid twisting the bottom pane.
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast