is my cucumber being attacked

So, over the past few days, I've noticed that my cuke seems to be developing what appears to be sores. I have carefully watched him when the fish are swimming about, but have observed nothing. Tonight, after lights out, my ever attentive hubby noticed some things on the cuke. It appeared that he was trying to get away from them. I got two photos, one not so bad, one blurry. I think they are amphipods, but I didn't think they were predatory. Any suggestions?

another photo

not quite as clear

Any ideas? If I can't protect him, I'll give him away.

Hmmm??? That IS strange. While there are many pods that are indeed predatory, I have always only read about them going after fish. Have you noticed when they are at work on the cuke if there are any on your fish? I find it strange that if they are indeed predatory, that they are only on the cuke and not your fish too. Before jumping the gun, it IS possible that they are just normal pods and that the cuke is far slower at moving than the fish so this is why they are on him. Pods will often be on the glass too when lights are out so perhaps they just happen to be in the same area as the cuke. It's hard to say with those photos being unclear. What I would do if I were you is post this in Dr. Ron's forum on RC and explain that these are the best pics you can get and precisely mention that you just wanted to know if there are any that specifically go after cukes only.

There are none on any fish (that I can see, as their sleeping spots are all out of the way), and there weren't any one the glass either. We got them off the cuke, and within minutes, they were back on him again.

I will post on RC, thanks for the advice. Any more suggestions?

Originally posted by sara
    Any more suggestions?
    Not really..., as I said this is the 1st time I hear about this on a cuke!! I'm anxious to hear about this. If/when you do get any answers, please post a link here in this thread.

Well, Dr Ron wrote back and he said that:

...some amphipods will definitely attack and eat sea cucumbers. This is documented rather well from some temperate species, however, I don't know of any specific imformation about tropical ones.
    I doubt that the amphipods are the cause of the problem. These "carnivorous" amphipods are rather uncommon, and I doubt they are found in many aquaria. I think it is more likely that the cuke is suffering from some other malady causing the sores, and that the normal scavenger bugs are taking advantage of the situation and having a meal at the cuke's expense.
    Now I just have to figure out what the other malady might be.