protein skimmer..water in collection cup

i just bouth a protein skimmer yesterday and my tank has been cycling for a week now with only live rock...my protein skimmer has been running since yesterday and foam is being produced but only water is going in the collection cup is that normal??

i have a seaclone skimmer

No, you have to lower your flow, and air rate. What kind of skimmer are you running. Alot of skimmers just need to be adjusted when first setup

Try closing the valve slightly on the air intake tube to reduce the bubbles in the chamber- that should reduce the amount of foam. I would bet, though, that if you give it a few days it will settle down on its own.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I was pretty sure that it was best to run the air full out and adjust the water flow rate only. It gives you only one setting to manage and even if the flow rate is slowed down the water will see longer contact times.
    Rob

i use to run a Seaclone 100.. What you need to do is dial down the Air intake.. its not going to lower the amount of air getting in.. but make the bubbles more fine.. in turn lowering the water level in the skimmer.. Preventing it from overflowing.

So your not reducing the air getting in ... your just braking down the bubble size ??? IS the air full out?
    Rob

Salty, the seaclone does not have an option to reduce water flow- there is no valve for that on the skimmer. Air adjustment is your only option.
    Matt.

OH ... OK so on units where both are adjustable is it as I was thinking ... run air full out and adjust flow of the water?
    Rob

The air/water mixture depends a lot on the type of skimmer and its capacity. this is no simple question.
    You do want to get as much air in the reaction chamber as possible, yes, but not at the expense of water flow through the skimmer. A balance must be achieved between air, water, contact time and flowthrough rate. Too much air in a venturi or air driven skimmer may require that you reduce the flow too much to get any efficient filtering ability. So reducing the air may be needed to keep the skimmer from overflowing and to allow more water flow.
    The high flow/pressure skimmers using a becket valve actually work better when the air is dialed back a little because as you reduce the air intake, the flow increases along with the suction. So when the water is trying really hard to draw air, it produces a finer bubble and this produces a larger area of air/water contact- many small bubbles have a larger combined surface area than fewer larger bubbles.
    So I think the short answer is no, not really, but you do want to get as much air as possible, but sometimes a skimmer is more efficient when the air is reduced.
    Are there any real set rules for setting up a skimmer? Nope, I don't really think so. One must play with all of the factors until they are satisfied that they are getting the best foam from their skimmer.
    Matt.