Odd Anthia behaviour...

My Anthia has adopted some odd habits in the last few months.
    He still swims around alot and spends most of his time (it seems) looking for food at the food hole.
    But he's taken to 'resting', or having a 'siesta'.
    Initially he exhibited this behavior to defend his 'cave' from the coral beauty, he would lie on the L/R in front of the opening of his cave to prevent unauthorized access for up to 5 minutes, but the habit has extended to lying on the rocks under the goniopora tree, literally sitting down and having a rest for a few minutes, at least twice a day (that I see after work) the Goni doesn't mind and shows no sign of retracting.
    Is he just old?
    Or did he discover that that he simply enjoyed a nap or two during the day?
    As they are very active fish, I thought I'd finally post this one, just in case I'm missing something.
    Here's a pic, but it's a bit dark, as he kept swimming off when I went to take a photo so I had to adjust the settings so as to not disturb him....
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

As long as he's not showing any sign of disease, and is eating well, I wouldn't worry about it.

My squarespot is pretty lazy too. He'll swim a few inches, and then let himself just float a few more while he descends to the bottom of the tank, then he'll swim up a couple more inches and then float a few more.....kinda funny to watch
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

liv
    Oh Oh !
    you must have caught that new desease out just about everywhere around the globe... !!..

....the AMERICANIZATION !!!

lol

my anthias does not sit much but does spend alot of time guarding his little cave.. almost stopped, suspended in the water.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

They are amusing fish, with all their little eccentricities!!!
    Mine also likes to swim vertically and play in the outlet of the skimmer....
    I think of all the fish I've had, the Anthia is by far the one with the most personality.
    Can anyone think of another 'personality' to add to a tank?
    I am looking for a new addition, preferably not bigger than 5 inches at adult size.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Flame hawkfish are interesting little fish- and I've never had one that ate anything like shrimp- or the long nose hawk. Jawfish are also incredibly interesting, sometimes tough to acclimate, though
    On the subject of anthias, I have kept a school of both Squamipinnis and Bartlets. I have found that newer anthias will stay out more in the water, moving and actively feeding, but I think that as they stay longer in the aquarium, they realise that there is less food floating by and they cannot feed continously as they would in the wild. So either they need to rest more because they aren't taking in the steady stream of calories as they did in the wild or they simply learn that they only need to become active when food is added to the tank and hang out the rest of the time, or both--anyways I think the behavior is totally normal, I see it with mine all the time.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Thanks for the responses, Good to know that all's well.
    I had a long nosed hawk-fish (b4 the crash) and it's a nice fish, thanks for the idea, it was interesting watching it hop from rock to rock!