Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleanup crew

Cleanup crew

I'm in the process of setting up my 125 reef tank and am trying to decide what to get for my cleanup crew. im gonna get either 150 or 200 lbs of rock, i havent decided yet, my sump is a 75g. Thanks

I wouldn't get the cleanup critters until the cycle is done. Many people now are skipping the hermit crabs and going with a variety of snails, cucumbers, urchins and cleaner shrimp. For snails, I like ceriths and nassarious best. I have about 25 or so nassarious and 50 or so ceriths. I also have a large tiger trochus and a few astreas and margaritas. I have two tiger tail cucumbers and a black knobby. I've found the best critter for hair algae is a long spined diadema urchin.

Don't get all your cleanup crew at once, there won't be enough food for everyone right away.

I have 150lbs of rock in my 120g.
    Susan

I have 200 pounds of live rock in my 90 gallon. I put some of the lr in the sump to cut down on the bubbles being returned to the display tank and some in the refuge. Now I frequently find pods and bristle worms in both places.

Like Susan says, you don't add the cleanup crew until ammonia and nitrites are 0. I also added a mixture of hermits (5 red legged and 10 red scarlet), snails (10 astrea, 5 bumble bee, 10 cerith, 5 margarita, 10 nassarious and 4 turbos), crabs (2 emerald), a tuxedo urchin and 2 peppermint shrimp. I lost a couple of turbos (fell on their backs in the sand), a emerald crab (the day after I got the shipment) and probably some snails (too much rock to find them all and count them). I have since added a long spined diadema urchin (now over 8 inch in diameter and likes to attack me when my hand is in the tank), a fighting conch snail (would like 2 or 3 more) and a yellow cucumber (when it gets here from Harley).

My suggestion is not a large quantity of any one critter but a large variety of snails/crabs. This way something should eat just about everything you need cleaned up.

Vickie

PS Susan, that urchin is still out all day even after I put a backing on one half of the tank.

Vickie, you must have done something to insult that urchin of yours. Sounds like he's holding a grudge This isn't normal. I know of several people who have them and they all hide during the day.

A note about rock - different types have different densities. There's no way I could fit more rock in my tank but if the rock itself was more dense it could weigh more. Makes it kind of hard to judge how much to buy.
    Susan

Ya, i wasnt planing on adding anything till the cycle was finished, I'm just trying to plan it all out
    thanks for your thoughts

I would add clean up crew in stages also after cycle. I went with just snails, a few different kinds, nassarius, astreas, ceriths. They are doing a pretty good job so far. My cycle was very short & sweet 1 week as the rock I put in cured in rubber maids while I was setting up tank. I bought 100lbs of Haitian LR but could only fit about 80-85lbs and still put a fish in, it was way lite as shapes were totally wild and take up alot of room, the rest went into my sump. The whole set up seems to be working for me so far other that the usual diatoms then cyano new tank thing.

good luck
    R

i agree with variety, the more diverse the better. i would shy away from hermit crabs, b/c they may start going after your snails, and once they are in there, there will be no way of getting them all out.
    Albert
    My Photos

i have to disagree ALRHA....i find blue leg hermits very benificial for my tank....as long as you keep a varity of diffrent size empty shells you should not have a problem Melameedo.

what do they do that the snails cant do? and once you have a hermit that cant find a shell he likes, and he happens to see a nice little snail pass by, that is one less snail in your tank. plus you also reduce the risk of getting a hermit crab that is not reef safe in your batch, plus snails do windows, hermit crabs dont.
    Albert
    My Photos

My hermits do the corners of the tank that the snails can't get to. That being said, there are a few crabs walking around in Astrea shells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast