Thread: Upgrade Cycle?

Upgrade Cycle?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first upgrade, so i figured i may as well get all the advice from those who have already done upgrades so as not to make the same mistakes.

When upgrading from my 70g to 200g tank, does the tank go through another mini-cycle? or will it just continue as if its always been there being that i will be transfering all 120 lbs of my rock?

Also is it better to re-use my existing sand?

or to just use fresh live sand instead so that it starts new without any toxins that may have built up?

I plan to use Oceanic water in my new tank rather than the Tropic Marin i have been using. Should i use my 70gal of water and then fill the rest with fresh saltwater? or just fill the whole thing up with fresh saltwater and throw away the old water? (perhaps in the toilet for my emerald crab - private joke from another thread)

thanks everyone.
    Albert
    My Photos

Imo...use your existing water if you can, or some of it. Its perfectly good, it'll save you a few bucks and in a 200 gal tank the rest will be like a big water change.
    I'd use 1/4old sand and3/4 new AND -very important- put the old sand down ON TOP of the new sand- otherwise you could smother the active sand with dead sand and end up with ALL dead sand. This will seed the new sand without bringing all of the crap from your old sand bed.
    There may be a mini cycle but since you have all of your old rock it should be minor
    I'm jealous, btw- there is nothin' more fun than GION' BIGGER!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Alrha,
    I agree with everything that Reefmutt mentioned. I also wanted to add that if you have a seperate refugium already up and running that will be hooked up to the main system, it will also help the new setup go through the initial period much smoother. This past Xmas time, Reefmutt and I tore down my whole tank to replace the sand and do a major rearrangement of the rockwork. Once my tank was back up within the same day, it did not even skip a beat or go through any new cycles. I had all new sand but seeded with some of the old sand and I didn't even get any algae blooms, Diatoms, nothing!!!!! I also used as much of the old water as possible and whatever new water was added just seemed like a regular waterchange.

sounds good. the new sand i would use will be LIVE SAND (how many pounds would you suggest i get for my size tank? 60x24x30) should i just use it all new if i'm using live?
    what is the purpose of using my old water other than saving $. if its better to have a 100% new fresh water all of the same salt without anything that may be lingering in the old water, then i may prefer that. especially if i will have a mini cycle, at least in pristine water it will be insignificant - no?
    Albert
    My Photos

p.s. what can you be jealous of, you have a 240!!!!
    Albert
    My Photos

i only have a hang-on refugium now (seeded with your critters greg). i will put everything from there into my sump which i will be using as a refugium.
    Albert
    My Photos

I would suggest NOT buying live sand- not worth it. If you use a little of you old sand, you'll have live sand in no time.
    There is nothing 'lingering' in your old water except the same ph and chemistry that your corals and fish are used to. It will less of a shock to use your old water- all new water is not necessarily better and definetly more shocking than old water. You'll have to make some new water anyways. And your old water is probably pretty pristine anyways.
    I'd put only a couple of inches in the main tank and a dsb or plenum ( as is your preferance) in the sump. this way you can maintain and fiddle with the sand bed, if needed without disturbing the reef.
    Going bigger in any way always make me jealous- I always want a bigger tank than I have. Unfortunately, my wife won't let me fill the whole basement with salt water!!
    Matt.

did you try promising to leave her a section of the house for human life?
    I see what you are saying about the sand. but i assume i should at least still buy "Marine Grade" sand (such as Aragamax or the like) as opposed to just going to Home Depot and buying regular sand?
    Albert
    My Photos

Human life???? what good is that!? Reef life...way better!!
    Yes definetly, use aragonite based sand, unless you can find the Brand 'Southdown' sand at a hardware store, it is in fact Caribsea reef sand repackaged for sand boxes at a much lower cost.
    Matt.

cool. i will look for it.
    Albert
    My Photos