Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coral spacing!

Coral spacing!

I was looking for info on coral spacing in the reef tank but found it harder to find than I thought! What is a good rule of thumb, say if you have two of the same family as opposed to if you had two different? Just thinking of the stinging ability or the chemical warefare that might go on inside my tank that I may not be aware of! Any info is very much appreciated !

it depends on the coral and how much it moves in your current. A leather for example wont get a lot further than where you place it except for growth. a torch coral on the other hand can send out sweepers searching for the next victim.
    Albert
    My Photos

Yup, It really depends on the coral. Best to research the corals on aggressiveness beforehand.

Mpleleaf, I was asking the same type of question on Reef Central concerning chemical warfare. The reason there is no chart available is because it depends so much on your tank. The amount and direction of flow, the amount of water vs the amount of chemicals produced, amount and type of carbon/other filtration all play a role in how close and what kinds of corals you can put in one tank. Eric Borneman recommended getting his book for more info on this.

Vickie

I was recently looking for similar info and found little on the topic, which was surprising as it is well known that certain corals should not be placed close together, i.e. Shrooms will win out with zoos, etc.
    I recently bought some button polyps and placed them about 6cm away from a fully extended goniopora and the goni stretched over and put its tentacles into it... amazing, the buttons are now recovering at the other side of the tank.
    There has to be a general guide somewhere.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Eric Borneman recommended getting his book for more info on this.
    I guess free info is getting expensive these days.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Tiffany, Eric was very nice about answering my questions. It is just when I wanted more, in depth answers to understand what was happening, he recommended his book. I can understand why he would not want to retype part of a book to answer questions. If you have specific questions, I suggest posting in his forum on Reef Central. I'm sure he would be glad to answer.

Vickie

Tiffany, here is the thread where I was asking these questions - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=362920

Vickie

Thanks for the thread, alot of info, but no real answers..
    Did you do a search?
    I might if I get some time, as I'm looking into what I can put in and where.

I did a search and found lots of conflicting info. One person has had no problems with certain corals and another person has not been able to keep the same corals in their tank. It basically supports what I was told - it all depends upon the tank conditions as well as not knowing exactly what species (posted by MCsaxmaster "A major problem is that it is quite literally impossible to identify different species of corals or of octocorals with few exceptions. There are some species that are totally unique, so they are identifiable. Being presented with something like a "toadstool leather" might result in a list of 30 or so 'possible' species with no way to know which of the thirty one might have.")

I will read up more when I find Eric's book but at the present decided that it is trial and error. (posted by MCaxmaster "Get Eric's book Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History--it is a very valuable resource all around. It does discuss toxicity of octocorals and is good about giving one an idea of which are the "most" toxic.") I haven't had much time to search but so far I've only been able to find Aquarium Corals.

Vickie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast