Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FOWLR Set-Up.

FOWLR Set-Up.

Tonight i moved my entire reef from the living room (front of house) all the way to the kitched (back of house) all by myself. I put all my corals in buckets, all the live rock and water into one garbage can and the livestock and water into another garbage can. the empty tank and stand were still heavy as hell, but luckily i had those little slippy things for sliding furniture and they helped me push the tank through my house. well now i have it all set up again and running. I placed in my kitchen against a peninsula so now the tank can be viewed from all four sides (front and sides, and flat back can be seen from the other side of the counter - i will take pics when i get my camera back (3 weeks)). I have now cleared up the space where my 180 will go. i figured i might as well keep my current tank where it is now and make it a FOWLR so that i can keep all those pretty fish that dont belong in a reef. at this point i still have hang on stuff on the back b/c i'm still running it as a reef. now for my question:
    What kind of filtration/set-up will i need for this? Can i just place a canister filter below the tank and thats it? do i need current? i will probably put back the NO flourecent lights. i am looking for as little as possible being that its viewed from all four sides. i'm just not sure what i would need for fish only.
    thanks,
    albert
    Albert
    My Photos

Heh, I know what you mean. I'm setting up a FOWLR this summer. I've been running my reef for so long it's hard to think differently.

Here's what I've learned:

- How much current will depend on the type of fish, some like LOTS, as much as a reef.

- A cannister filter is a good idea for a FOWLR but you may find you still need your skimmer. I wouldn't dump it. Again this will depend on the fish, if you have a big messy eater like a lionfish or puffer you'll need all the filtration you can get!

- Lighting isn't very important, it's relly just for you. Normal outputs are fine. I'm going with VHO on mine only because it's such a big tank and I don't want to have a whole bunch of tubes. The VHO bulbs will last longer too.

Your best bet is to decide on your fish first and then build the tank to suit them.
    Susan

i dont have a skimmer now on my reef, so i doubt i will need one on my fowlr. i will still have some LR (maybe that big Tonga one) and a DSB to deal with nitrates. Phosphates will not have any effect (right?) so i dont care about that. I want to have Angels, butterflies, Triggers, you know, the pretty ones. how many can i fit in there with a Fish only? 5? (Emperor Angel, Butterfly, Clown Trigger, Puffer, Lion)
    Albert
    My Photos

I can even hook up two canisters if i need to (which are the best to use? and what is the purpose of it in a FOWLR? they will end up building up my nitrates rather than letting my rock and sand reduce it - so i wont need it for biological, there is no chemical warfare, so i wont need it for chemical, and these guys will eat anything, so i dont need the mechanical either)
    Albert
    My Photos

My tank now is just running on a refugium. if thats good enough for a reef, then why cant i just run my FOWLR the same way but without the refugium (which is mainly for the corals, critters and algae to use up po4.)
    Albert
    My Photos

must be the time of year i just smashed all my old ideas apart to start up a FOWLR also. Like susan said its easier to start with picking the fish you like narrow it down to what will be acceptable stocking and then work from there on current and setup.

Craig
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

also with less rock in the FOWLR tank (as opposed to a reef tank) it is easier to have a nice current as there isnt as much blocking it.

So far i know i want an Imperator Anger and a Clown Trigger. I still have to pick a butterfly and try to remember which other fish i was dying to have but couldnt due to reef-safeness.
    Oh, and it should be a rule that Reef-Safe fish should not be allowed in a FOWLR. it would be a waste.
    How many fish do you think i can stock in that 72 gal (4ft)?
    it's sad that we can run the most complicated reef systems, but then when it comes to a simple fish tank, we are at a loss. i guess its because we know it easier, but unsure as to exactly how much easier it really is.
    Albert
    My Photos

this may be a good choice for me because i think my best bet would be some sort of "In-Line" set-up or canister filter (but i think a canister will only raise my nitrates). I dont have any room for Hang-on b/c its viewed on all four sides and i cant have a sump b/c its not drilled (and i cant use a hang-on overflow for the reason above) In-Line would be my best bet as it will only require one tube coming down and one going up.
    http://marinedepot.com/aquarium_filt...ne.asp?CartId=
    anyone ever see an in-line protein skimmer?
    Albert
    My Photos

Choosing fish for a FOWLR is an interesting question. A coupl eof comments from a neophyte who reads a lot :-)

I thought that an Imperateur Angel needed a much bigger tank than a 72G. They are listed as getting up to 1'3" long. Also, I thought butterflies and agressive fish like triggers didn't mix well. Finally, hasn't there been discussion that lionfish and puffers don't get along?
    Nick

Many people are going to probably disagree with me here, but IMHO fish in captivity will usually not grow as big as they would in the wild (mostly due to our fish keeping (water quality, nutrition) and partly due to the smaller are in which they are living - sort of like a bonsai). Now i'm not saying to put a shark in a 10 gal tank, but in most cases, if i buy a 4" imperator, i dont see it reaching 12" within a year. by the time is does reach such a size (if ever) i will likely have upgraded my tank again (so the FOWLR would end up being in my 5' tank, and this would become a planted tank) or if he outgrew my tank before i upgrade then i can just give him to my LFS to sell it for me (even giving it to him for free if need be). Again, please note that all this is JMHO and many people are likely to disagree with me, but some, i believe, would agree.
    good question nick, seems like this thread is starting to pick up steam.
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast