Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

lionfish loosing colour.

I am treating my fish with maracyn two for his lip infection and he lost some colour and brating a bit faster then usual is this normal?

I just did a water change of 50 pourcent maybe the dose was too much for him
    Derik...

It is not unusual for stressed fish to breath faster. If the water parameters are normal I would not be overly worried about it. I would as I am sure you are ... keep an eye on him
    Rob

I will!!I will try to feed him tonight he hasnt eating since last wednesday.....
    Derik...

don't offer too much food or you will pollute the water. offer a fav food.
    Rob

do you ever feed him live food? ether way get a few guppies and offer them to him. If he dose not want them they will be easy to get out of the QT setup.
    Rob

I just tried krill and a small 1 inche goldfish witch i never fed him before...and didnt want it
    Derik...

Imo, you should remove all meds for now and give him a break- a lionfish that won't eat live food is a VERY unhappy fish. Unless the mouth infection is horrendous, I'd ignore it for now until the fish is eating again. Once it is eating, try adding a medication to its food so that it ingest it- maybe that will help cure the infection and keep its belly full. If I'm not mistaken, lionfish are more sensitive to meds in the water ( I seem to recall that lionsish don't have scales--I think--I could be wrong, and therefore don't deal well with meds) I know copper can be really nasty for lionfish.
    I hope he pulls through.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

No lionfish dont have scale.Right now he is in a hospital tank a Igave him maracyn two.So you think that would not be good meds for him
    Derik...

Don't panic about it not eating. I had one with the same type of mouth infection and he didn't eat for almost 2 weeks. I did eventually get him to take long thin strips of squid that I would wave infront of him on a clear plastic rod.

As for the infection, mine got very lathargic, breathing was fast and irregular but he pulled through. Stay away from fresh water live foods as they have nothing worth while in them for the fish. I would cut back adn stop medicating adn let it take affect. I found the mouth disease adn ich on a lionfish take at least 2 weeks to start clearing up. I'm hoping for you.

Let me know if I can be of any help. I've kept many lionfish for years and have had just about every stroke of bad luck with them. They are still my favorite fish though and I'm presently setting up a 65 gallon tall to house 2 volitans and a fu manchu.

Good Luck and be patient. It's stressfull I know.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast