Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tank

New Tank

Ok I think I did this before but not sure. Just set up my tank and have had 3 big mistakes so far. To all I like my under ground filter. Just not the live sand I put in. I was looking at some of your picks and was wondering how the heck do you clean all that with so many LR and things. I have only had alittle LR in my tank cuz I just use it for fish. Now after seeing all your tanks Im wondering if I should put more. Now for a Q.
    I have a 50 gal tank, how big of a skimmer do you think I should get? I cant run my power heads cuz of that darn sand inless I take it all out AGAIN! So I was thinking Ill just run a skimmer and hang the heads on the sides.
    Any suggestions would be great!! Also what kind of critters should I get to help or am I going about this all wrong?
    Ty

liv
    you will need more circulation in there.. either run powerheads or a closed-loop system.

closed-loop.. take water from the tank, and run it back at different spots.. either sequenced or all the time.

but i'd remove that undergravel filter before you put all the stuff in.. I used to be a firm believer of such a system.. but that was years ago.. and in freshwater.

as for cleaning.. we dont need to clean out the tanks.. the only thing you do is scrub the front and sides with a special blade to remove eccess coraline..

also, whats the use of the underground filter if you are not connecting it to powerheads.. it wont work without it.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

You dont even have to do water changes or clean the sand???
    WOW

Well Linda how much l.r. you have is all taste. Personally I don't like excesive amounts for several reasons. It works as a filter but too much IMO (and I've read this many times before) can be a hiderance to filtration.
    The other reasons are I wanted room for the fish to swim, some tanks have so much darn rocks that the fish really don't have much swimming room at all.
    AND the cleaning issue.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...ht=aquascaping

http://www.aquaria.ca/forums/showthr...&threadid=2594

Where do you have your ph's now? I have mine a few inches from the waterline.(maybe 1.5)

Size of skimmer....most models will tell you what size tank they are optimal for.

YES you need circulation of some sort

http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com...losedloop.html

Oh sorry About the filter just call me to lazy to take it out lol
    I know thats wrong just didnt want to put to much money into it. Do you think I should try coral?

Wow just saw your tank nice But I dont want to go that far Mother of 3 and short on cash the kids just want some fish to look at. Maybe when they move out then I can go all out. Just trying to fix my problem as easy as I can. thats why the underground filter. Just monthy water changes and all good.
    I do have one of the power heads hooked up to the filter cuz its not strong and not throwing sand everywhere. Just need to know if I should get more rock and more filters I have 3 nice size in there now. If I get more will it help so I dont need another filter?
    Sorry for being dumb about all this and ty for the help

liv
    ok.. you can keep the box at the bottom but remove the side tube.. this way sand should'nt get sucked up and shot off in your tank.

when you say try coral ? coral sand ? or real live corals ?
    coral sand ( aragonite ) is definitly thinker stuff.
    as for live corals.. not on a freshly installed tank.

to start your saltwater tank, you will need some lighting, a skimmer, some water movement.. a sand bed and proper water parameters like :
    salinity 1.026
    ph 8.0 to 8.4
    temp from 76-82f

the other params you can worry about it more when this is all done. lighting.. all depends what you want.. if its fish only like you say, well normal output fluorescents will do.

No I mean do you think I sould take out the sand and replace it with crushed coral, Sorry I wasnt clear. Got alot going on in my thick brain. LOL

liv
    i have crushed coral in mine.. i like it.. i think it all depends what live creatures you depend on getting.

Linda, the best medium for you to use is sand! Stick with it. As for your use of an undergravel filter it will work for about 18 months max then you will have a system crash. This medthod worked fine years ago. The best thing I can suggest is to remove the plastic tubes from your undergravel plate leaving the plate in place. It will act as a plenum. Introduce more live rock, you need 1lb/gal. Keep the power heads running. Let mother nature look after things. This is called the Berlin Method. Do lots of reading, you shoud be running a skimmer & add a hang on the back refugium. You ask how do you clean with so much live rock? Most reefers don't touch the rear glass it's where we grow that coraline algae, some don't even touch the side glass as well. Make sure your adding calcium!
    Good luck Trigger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast