Banned

Fish only SW 29g or 6g?

I have a 29 gallon FW African and a 6g fry tank. I'd like to setup a fish only SW. These tanks use Eclipse hoods meaning the filter and pump is located in the hood and seems good enough for FW setups. Everytime I walk into Big Al's on Innes Rd I see their nano tank and wonder if I can do the same with one of my spare tanks. I wouldnt want to add equipment do to costs and such and dont want to have any thing that is as complicated to keep as my 75 gallon planted tank. Is it possible to have a fish only tank and if so what do I need to make it happen.

Any suggestions would be great.

You can run this system using the Berlin method. It means using only live rock & sand to filter the tank. If you run a filter medium it would be fine for about 18 months then it's likely to have a system crash. Best thing is to cycle your tank using raw shrimp or aquire live sand to kick it off. Run you pump without any filter medium & let nature look after the rest. Live rock runs between $7-10 per pound & you should need 1lb / gal. Make sure you do a lot of reading before you make any hasty descissions it will save you a lot. Mistakes are costly when you dealing with marines.

Good luck Trigger
    plug me if you need more questions answered!

Hey,
    I have a fisk only tank in my eclipse 25g.
    I've had it running since December and it's great. I have 15 lbs of live rock, sand, 2 false clownfish, starfish, hermit crabs and snails. it's quite simple to set up and you do not have to but anything else other then the live rock, and sand to do the conversion from FW to SW. I use the filter media at the top and rinse it out on a weekly basis. if you have any questions PM. I have tried a few candy cane coral, but they did not do well, most probably the light source.

Banned
    Trigger, why would the tank crash when using the filter? Are the bacteria from a FW setup the same as a SW?

Boss, your setup sounds just like I want to do, simple. Right now in the 29g, Im using crushed coral and some nice rocks that I was thinking could also be used in SW. Is this possible?

I just dont want to convert the tank to SW if everything dies in a few months because I did something wrong.

Thanks for the help

hey,
    crushed coral is fine, you may want to trade in the nice rocks , for some live rock. I say go out and buy 5 lbs of live rock or less just to get the system going. My tank has live rock and regular tufa rock much cheaper. I started with 2 damsels and then traded them in when I got my clownfish. you can even try to keep them in place as some are not to aggresive.
    Where ru located? pm me and I will give you my home number if you want to discuss.