Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kalk

Kalk

I'm experimenting with dripping Kalk. Still haven't got the flow down slow enough (about 1 l/20 min (1G/ hr or so) at present). However, I was surprised at the effect on the pH of the tank. 1.5l of Kalk (1 tsp/G concentration) raised the pH of my 29G tank from 7.94 to 8.36 as measured on a pH meter.

Is that size of increase normal? Was it caused by the rate of flow I used being too rapid?
    Nick

I don't know if you're pH meter will handle it but I hear Kalk has a pH in the range of 12 to 12.5, that's why you have to drip it so slowly.

Anything that high is going to raise you pH pretty quickly, but all my Kalkwasser knowledge is from reading. I can't tell you if this is unusually fast or not but from what I've read your pH changes are directly related to how fast you drip it in.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

The meter doies go that high - the Kalk solution was about pH 12. I knew the pH in the tank would go up (I was hoping it would). I was just surprised by the size of increase given that I added such a small volume of solution (well under 1% of the tank volume).

I wonder if the pH will drift back down now?
    Nick

OK, think I answered my own question, I had assumed that the main reason for slow addition of kalk related to local pH effects and the potential for Calcium/Magnesium precipitation, etc. However, as you point out, adding it too rapidly can cause the entire tank pH to rise. This is because there has been insufficient time for CO2 absorption to neutralize the pH increase. Randy Holmes-Farley states that adding 1.2% of tank volume as saturated Kalk will cause the tank to increase pH by 0.5 units. I added about 0.3G to a 30G tank which is about Randy's amount. Hence, my increase was as projected.

Guess I will need to find some way to slow down the dripping if I keep this up.
    Nick

DAN
    nickb
    what are you using to controle the flow rate with? On the line is it a small tap or ball valve ,or an IV flow control ?
    DAN

None of the above. I used the smallest sized airline tubing I could find. None of the stores I checked with had any type of flow control device I could add; ball values etc. were too large for the tubing. An IV set would be a good choice, but the medical supply stores I've checked at didnt have any to sell. And, for my needs, the cost of a dosing pump is excessive.

Any other suggestions appreciated.
    Nick

I would suggest using a weaker kalk solution. You say you use 1 tsp per gallon, I would try 1/2 tsp per gallon. This will raise your pH, just not as much.

Vickie

DAN
    nickb
    easy fix take 1'' thick X 2''long peice of wood,and a screw for drywall or wood your pref. drill a hole through the wood the size of your airline, take drill & make smaller hole to insert the screw .Be sure that the hole for the screw &the airline intersect one another insert the screw to make your thread then remove &grind point flat,insert airline &screw (ctrl valve)
    Around Here I Have a Verry Responsible Position
    .....every time somthing goes wrong
    I'M RESPONSIBLE!!

Neat. I'll look into that. BTW, congrats on the new baby!
    Nick

Nick,
    The above DIY idea is a good one. I just wanted to add that you REALLY want to slow down the increase. When a PH reading rises, every point is exponential ( 10x) and you don't want to go more than 1 point in a 24 hr. period, otherwise it can effect things in your tank. Also, you don't want it to fluctuate too much in a 24 hr period as it will be an unstable environment for the inhabitants. A fluctuation of 1 or 2 points from night time to day is normal though. Try dripping your kalk only during the night time when all lights are off. Normally at night time the PH is lower , so dripping it then will help to bring it back up to the daytime reading, therefore keeping it somewhat stable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast