Lack of Styro between tank/stand.

With my 45 gallon I don't have Styrofoam between the bottom of the tank and stand.

Am I in for some trouble later on down the line?

The stand is designed for my tank. It is not a tube steel stand rather a counter top style(pedastil) stand. The stand rest on a floor with carpet.

I haven't noticed any crooked'ness...visually, it sits great.

My 120 has been without styrofoam for 3 years and is just fine.
    Susan

Will not be an issue unless the stand is not flat on it top surface. The best way to do this is to make sure it's level.
    Rob

Not a problem. You still have to level the stand though.

Styrofoam just lets the tank level if your stand isn't perfectly level already. You definately don't need it if your stand is fine.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

From what I've read, like many things in this hobby, styro is personnal choice. I've read threads blaming tank cracks on styro and threads using scientific principals proving the need or lack of need for styro or some other foam insulation.

Personally, in the last 10 years, I've had 2 x 25 gallon tanks, a 50 gallon tank, a 75 gallon tank and a 90 gallon tank all on homemade wooden stands without styro. None of the tanks had styro and none broke/cracked. The tops of the homemade stands were made out of 2 x 4's, 2 x 6's or 2 x 8's and no we do not have a planer to make the tops perfectly level. We just added plastic shim stock under the corners so the tank didn't rock.

Vickie

500g, no styro, no leaks.[finally]. As Vickie had mentioned lots of debate on the use of styro but absolutely no proof that it helps. If any was to be used it should be closed cell and usually ment for acylic tanks.

IMO styro is only useful if the bottom of the tank is FLAT. Some tanks used to be made with the walls on top of the bottom pane and the bottom of the tank was a flat pane of glass. These days almost all tanks have the bottom pane set up inside of the walls on the the plastic bottom trim. This started happening when one piece plastic trims hit the market. On these tanks that 1/2 inch edge around the bottom just cuts into the styro and the intended effect is completely lost. Johnny if your tank is walls on bottom pane you would have been wise to use styro IMO.
    Rob

Cool

I would never build a'' walls on bottom pane'' for a large tank. all my research and conversations with tank builders are dead set against it.all vertical panes are on the outside edge of the bottom. My 90g miracle and me 75 AGA all have walls on the side edge as well.
    p.s SALTY, do you have a larger drill bit for glass than your 2,1/2''?