Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

do conchs eat astreas?

So, I put in a beautiful fighting conch today (thanks Ivan), went out for dinner, and when I came back, it appears that he got hungry and ate a snail. His foot seems to be firmly wrapped around the snail shell. Every once in a while his nose comes out, so I know he's alive. Should I expect to lose many more snails to this monster?

A true fighting conch (Strombus alatus) is a herbivore which will not eat snails. Unfortunately there are a few other conches that look like the fighting conch that are omnivores.

Could the conch be cleaning a shell that was already empty?

Vickie

Well, if it wasn't empty before it is now...

Conch is wandering, buried himself for a good long snooze and back up on the glass. Might have been cleaning an empty, there are a few of those lying around.

Originally posted by sara
    and back up on the glass.
    This leads me to believe you have the wrong type. The Fighting conch or Queen conch won't go up on the glass..., thay basically can't!!! There are many predatory conchs around so I'd say be wary of what you got.

How can I tell the difference between a predatory and what I wanted? Is there any way at all?

I'd post pictures in the Dr. Ron forum of Reef Central. He is the expert and will quite often be able to tell from a picture.

Vickie

Sara,
    I agree that he will most probably be able to ID it for you, but before you post it let me warn you that he'll want very clear and close pics of it from the top down, side view and most importantly, from the underside showing the opening of the shell. This opening of the shell is what is the most important for properly identifying it. You'll have to remove it from the tank and take these close up shots. Good luck!! I too was sold a predatory whelk a few years ago under the assumption it was a fighting conch till I found out.

ijo
    If you find that its a predatory conch... bring it back sara.. we have some straberry conches arriving tomorrow we could trade with.

IJO

Well, I am posting photos of it now, but I am pretty sure it is a predator, I just found it eating another astrea, when I pried it out it was an obviously occupied shell. If it isn't predatory it has a knack for "cleaning" live astreas.

Sara, are you going to put your "Crown Conch" in a species tank? Have you decided what to do with it?

Vickie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast