new tank up and running

ok well the long awaited day finally came yesterday i got the 77 gallon setup filled with salt water and base rock...tons of little creatures stayed up 1/2 the night just watching them all......anyone with any suggestions go right ahead im willing to listen to any advice

Craig

Good going wish i was haveing as much luck

took me 2 years of reading and about 10 months of waiting till i could afford to set it up the way i wanted...so its about time!! dont worry linda its well worth it
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

Congratulations weeble. Now is the time for patience is all. Let the cycle do it's thing, don't be tempted to rush any critters in there too fast. Also, don't leave your lights on all day, you'll just get more algae than the usual new tank blooms.

You mention you used base rock but have tons of little critters. You sure it isn't liverock?
    Susan

nah its base but hes had it in his tanks with live rock for close to a year so its been seeded quite well...at 3.75/lb i couldnt go wrong

Craig
    Craig

Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

That's great news weeble. Your well on your way and it Sounds like you already have the most important ingredient ....patience. Flame has offered good advice about that and the lights already.
    Rob

ok thanks guys lights are on about 4-5 hours a day right now...do i even need that?? should i leave them off completely?
    Craig

Well it's definitely liverock now then! Great way to start a tank with rock like that, you may not see much of a cycle at all considering how mature the rock is. When you start getting algae blooms you can start getting your cleaning crew. Just be sure that the ammonia and nitrites are down first. This would be a good time to research cleanup critters though. There are several crabs vs snails threads here on AC to check through.
    Susan