Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mini flotor

mini flotor

I have tried to ask this a bunch and have wrote it 3 times lets see it it will finnaly post. I will leave it at that and come back to ask the big Q just to see if it works this time lol
    LOL

K it finnally worked so here goes. I have a 50 gal tank for fish and live rock only I have 2 power heads and took out my undergrovel filter. someone told me that I need more surculation in the tank. so the thing is i think I bought the wrong thing. I got a mini flotor but it came with no instutions. ( how dumb is that I should know what to do with it but ok dumb)and it might be good for my tank, so I know it hangs on the back of the tank but inside or outside? I also have a portien skimmer on the back, and theres no room for this thing. Also it says I need to connect it to a airstone which i have but can I put it on the other side or do I need another one? Last but not least a put a tester fish a white and black striped damels in my tank. But he looks really stressed and all the nits and stuff are good what could be causeing this???? Sorry not a good speller.
    Heres a pic of what it looks like.
    Sorry if m not to clear in moring of a cat that was 22 years old. Im sure Ill be better soon!
    sorry!!!!!!
    Any help would be great ty

Sorry now that I can finnaly post it wont let me put the pic. I hate this site sometimes it has a mind of its own. When it lets me I post the pic so u know what I mean! Ty for your help

I'm not sure which mini filter you bought but most hang on the outside of the tank. I've never had a mini filter that requires an airstone so I can't comment on that. You should have plenty of circulation with a mini filter, 2 powerheads and a skimmer working.

It is usually not recommended to use tester fish - especially damsels. Once a fish is in your tank, especially with rocks, they are hard to catch and remove (damsels are knows for being almost impossible to remove from the tank). If you do catch it, what are you going to do with it? Many stores will not accept fish back.

Since your fish is looking stressed, what is you ammonia and nitrite readings? How long has this tank been running? What is your temp and salinity readings? When was the last partial water change and how much did you change? All these questions will help us advise you.

Vickie

The box says its a mini flotor ao aqua medic but thats all its says I can finnaly put a pic of it on.
    As for the tank itself All ammonis and nits are good salt is between 21 and 22 and the temp is 79. Im starting to think this is a skimmer. Let me know what you think
    Thanks

Yup..., your intuition is trying to tell you something. It's a skimmer all right and an air driven one too. That's why you need an airstone.

So does it go inside and can I attach it to the other side of my airstone?

Linda, there is no boubt that you will get great advice here, and asking questions is admirable as many newcomers don't even do that before getting into the hobby. But you need some sort of basic knowledge for us to really help you along. I think you would be doing yourself a big favor if you went out and bought a few up to date books. You really need to know some basics about aquariums before you jump into the tank- so to speak. It will only make the hobby more enjoyable and fun as well as making it easier for us to help you.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Gee thanks thought you could ask Q here. I had a tank running for 3 years and took it down just tring to get my memory back. Try not to bother you all

Linda, most people run their salinity at 1.025. Yours looks a little low. Are you doing this for a reason? Some people do this short term to control diseases.

I can't help you on the skimmer as I'm not familiar with that type. Sorry

As someone once said - the only dump question is the question not asked. It helps when you learn the "language" but that will come. The more threads you read, the sooner you will learn the terms used.

You say your ammonia and nitrites are good. Does that mean they are reading 0? What test kits are you using (some brands will give you bad readings)? Are you testing for nitrItes or nitrAtes?

Vickie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast