Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To all new tankers

Be carfull, some give good advice some not so good. Use your own judgement. You know when you wiil do good!! Dont be discouraged you can do it. not all advice is good like at your local pet strore. Just be weary.
    Good luck all and just have fun with your tanks.

ijo
    I totally agree with this one... the best thing you can do is ask for advice from more than one source... if many are saying the same thing... then its probably good advice. Also take into account who the advice is comming from and the reasons why he/she would want to give you a different answer.

Salt is a good example... you'll find some LFS's telling you IO is not that great... could it be because they do not carry it? The number of people who use this salt shows it to be one of the best salts on the market.

The good thing about getting advice from the net is that most of it is not $$$ driven and thats the best advice in my opinion!!

IJO

Ty IJO at least there are some smart ones out there!! Take care!!!!

Question

quote,'' not all advice is good like your local pet store'' is this a typo or a joke? must be a typo because I tell ya, 90% of the info you get from most LFS is either incorrect or geared towards a sale. most LFS's have young inexperienced staff,

I agree completely JR. I ran out to see the usual suspects in ottawa since I busted my tiny tank, time to get a not so tiny nano...

I had some kid try to give me heck for using a "non aquarium" light on my nano. Appariently a 23W 6500K bulb will grow more algae than the 11 watt 5000K bulb he wanted to sell me would....

I don't think he enjoyed the rest of the conversation, but I was still grumpy from busting my nano.

Cheers
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

ijo
    lol... grow more algae... thats a good one. : for those of you who are looking to grow algae... get yourself a 65k lamp (kiddin)

IJO

JR, i think linda was trying to say "not all advice is good, like your local pet store (for example)."
    does that work?
    Albert
    My Photos

Yes Thank you Albert thats exactly what I am saying!!! Finally someone gets me

You're right Linda, there is a lot of bad advice out there. Most of it comes from people who have something to gain - the LFS are prime examples of this. However, there is another aspect as well. I've found that there are many different approaches to this hobby, with equipment as well as maintenance and feeding. This results in very different tanks. No one way is the right way but there are some techniques that don't cross over well. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for others. It doesn't mean the advice is bad, just not appropriate for your tank.
    Susan

So true Susan I couldnt have said it better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast