Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MH Canopy

MH Canopy

Hi All,

I'm looking at building a MH canopy this weekend and was wondering if anybody can tell me if I should worry about tank overheating and if the lights need to be a minimum distance from the water.

If Heating could be a potential problem what should i look into in terms of fans ?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    What size tank?
    How many bulbs?
    175w or 250w?

Ideally, you want your MH bulbs AT A MINIMUM 6" off the water, and allowing clearance over the bulb for heat issues.
    MH's get HOT!

You want air circulation, which means fans pushing air into the canopy. Ideally, a partially open back to expel hot air from the bulbs.

Take for example, my canopy on my 90 gallon tank.
    The canopy stands a whopping 18" tall, and the 2 x 250w MH bulbs are 9" from the water surface.
    I have 2 x 4" fans pushing air into the canopy, and the top back of the canopy is open.
    To top that off, I have a fan inside the canopy (hanging in the middle), pushing air onto the water to help reduce water temperature through evaporation.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

The two bulbs will be 400w 20K radiums. The tank will be a 77 gallon 48" long.

Do you have any good DIY canopy instructions ? My only concern is how many fans will I have to add and will I have to wire them (I'm the furthest thing from an electrician)

Will noise be a concern with the fans ? The tank will be next to my couch facing the TV.

On a positive note my appartment gets very cold in the winter so hopefully this will help with heating my livingroom

Nick.

There are several good plans on the 'net.
    I based mine on several ideas.

If you have visio, I can send you a copy of the plans I used for mine.

I used 4" Orion fans, available from www.alliedelec.com ... They are quiet and have many options you can buy for them (cables, dust guards, etc...)

Wiring isn't that hard.

I actually do have visio... you can send the plans to nkbreau@nbnet.nb.ca or post them here....

you could also save the visio doc as a GIF or JPG I think.....

Here's the GIF version... I had it saved, didn't remember.

My Canopy design

wow, nice... got any pics of the final product ?

wow, that canopy is really cool... what are the dimensions of the tank and does it open both using the doors in the front and lifting the front wall ? Maybe i'll use these plans when i build my canopy thursday..... would love to see some finished pics first

Thanks.

I designed it using several ideas I got from the 'net.

I originally designed it to have the doors on the front, and also have the complete front lift out for MAJOR access to the tank. I was sick of being obstructed, and having to remove my old canopy.

In the end though, I didn't use the doors, since I wanted professional doors, but couldn't get them black or unpainted. I may modify the canopy one day to incorporate those doors as it would make it easier for feedings.
    As it stands right now, I lift the whole front out. The front is mounted on 2 x 24" brass piano hinges.

Here's a picture showing the canopy itself. I used molding all around the canopy to hide the screws.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MH Canopy-dscn0450-small-.jpg  

As for lights...

There are 2 NO 40w mounted on the front door, and another 2 NO 40w mounted within the canopy with the 2 MH's.

I painted the inside of the canopy white, and then lined it with reflective mylar throughout.

I have pictures of the canopy with the door open somewhere.. I'm looking for them now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast