Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please quarantine all new livestock!!!!

I recently bought a juvenile french angel.I acclimatized it and put him in my main tank as I thought he looked pretty healthy.BIG MISTAKE!!!2 weeks later my lionfish started loosing appetite till he had no appetite at all.As you all know volitan lions have an extrely big appetite.I put him in quarantine and treated him with maracyn 3 because hehad a lower lip infection.His lip got better and started eating a bit again 2 weeks later.So I put him back in the main tank.

In the mean time that my lion was in quarantine I noticed that my french angel was rubbing himself against the rocks.He had a little bit of cloudy eyes and ich.So i gave him a freshwater bath with formalin.within 2 days he was not eating and hidding and fins ripping appart.By the time I put him in quarantine he had big red marks on him,breathing extremely fast,couldnt hold himself in the water current and was mostly on him side and face domn on the bottom.

I just realized that its was when i put my juv angel in the main tank that my lion started to get sick.

Even if you think that your new little buddy is healthy....quarantine him.It will save you alot of trouble,$$$,and emotional stress.

I have one 180$ french angel that i had to put in the freezer today to relieve him of him misery.I had to take a deep deep breath when i put him in there.I maybe to emotional about this but he was areally nice and friendly fish that ate out of your hand and recondnized you when you were there.

Now my lionfish is in the quarantine tank on the bottom and he doesnt look good.This fish is why i started saltwater and I am very upset.HE is 7 to 8 inches and had an appetite like crazy.

All to let you know QUARANTINE YOU NEW LIVESTOCK PLEASE.As you may suffer for great financial and emotional loss.Imagine wipping a wholw tank of really nice fish that you fed and took care of for so long,because you did not have a 20$ little quarantine tank.

I hope this makes some of you think about it as I will NEVER NEVER introduce anything in my tank again unless it is quarantined......

Thanks for reading my post.

And here he was the day after the dip that enhanced greatly his desease,I think stress of that dip did it for him.Today before i euthanized him he was twice as bad as this picture.

Yep, i learned the same hard lesson what i first started the hobby. I lost four clown fish and a royal gramma for not doing the quarantine. I feel your pain but we have to learn from our mistakes.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

yup thats right but iknew it its my fault not to it.My lions fins are all disintegrating just like my angel and I have no idea what to do?Any idea anyone
    Derik...

You may also want to post in Reef Central "fish decease" forum or do a search there for fin rot....

good luck
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

I sorry to hear that.

http://209.15.53.70/popup.asp?product_id=65

have a look at FAQ

MelaFix®

Can MelaFix be used with other medications?

MelaFix has been tested and found compatible with Aquarium Pharmaceuticals medications. Mixing other brands of medications is not recommended.

Is MelaFix harmful to aquatic plants?

MelaFix can be used in aquariums and ponds containing live plants.

Will MelaFix kill snails?

No.

Can I use MelaFix in aquariums containing freshwater crabs and shrimp?

Yes.

Will MelaFix hurt saltwater invertebrates?

No. MelaFix is reef-compatible. MelaFix has been shown to promote the healing of damaged coral tissue.

I have a protein skimmer. Will MelaFix cause foaming?

MelaFix will cause some increased foaming during the treatment. We recommend turning the skimmer down or off during treatment with MelaFix.

Do I have to remove the activated carbon from my filter when treating with MelaFix?

We suggest removing the carbon while treating with any medication.

Print this page

Sorry you may want to try this on your lion fish
    The company home page
    http://www.aquariumpharm.com/aqfish.html

Thanks!!Hes been on meds for 3 weeks and not eating.I think his system is starting to shut down.
    Derik...

I hope he pulls through but it doesn't sound good. I feel your distress.

Vickie

thanks il keep you posted
    Derik...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast