Thread: Sand question

Sand question

Okay I dumped 15 lbs of new Argonite sand into my 10g Nano about 4 hours ago... Do I need to run carbon to get rid of the milky crap or will the spounge I'm currently using get it?

I have to put my zoos, candy cane, hermits, astrea, and Nassarius snail in pretty soon I had to steal their heater for the tank. Is the cloudy water okay or do I need to wait?

I used ls the first time & didn't have this problem...

Cheers!

The offical answer from reefcentral was: Add live rock & wait anywhere from a couple hours to a week. Usually gone in 24 hours, filtering or not doesn't consistantly change the time length.

The silt will iratate the corals, snails & crabs but shouldn't hurt them. I'll need to clean them off with a turkey baster once I can see well enough to find them.

Does that sound right to everyone?
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Hardy corals will be stressed but make it no problem. I wouldn't put any sensitive SPS or the like though.
    The more liverock you add, the quicker it will clear up. The bacteria in the rock actually coats the fine silt particles which in turn weigths them down somewhat enough to settle.
    When you first put the rock back in, don't even bother trying to set it up. Just place it in there and let it do it's job. Once you can see, then you can start playing around with the look somewhat.
    Good luck!!

Wow the live rock made a noticable difference in about an hour & while it's still cloudy, I can see to the back wall now.

Everything appears to have made the transition okay. Jury's still out on the Candy cane, I suspect he's pretty po'd ...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.