Candy Cane questions

Hi all,

Ivan went over this with me, but I'm afraid with the fun & games I've forgotten it.

How long does it take for a candy cany to become happy again & what do I look for?

When should I experiment with a new position if it's not there?

My lights are under powered for the new tank (will be upgrading asap) but I have a 10w 50/50 on one side and a 23W 65K on the other. I've started him in the middle, maybe slightly towards the 50/50 side. Does that sound reasonable?

And aside from it getting coated with slime, what should I be on the look out for as bad signs?

Thanks in advance!

Ivan went over this with me, but I'm afraid with the fun & games I've forgotten it.
    ... and you didn't know there would be a pop quiz??!!!

How long does it take for a candy cany to become happy again & what do I look for?

If everything is good in the tank and it is matured enough to be acceptable for corals, then it should be happy and opening the same day..., although at the same time, this will vary somewhat from specimen to specimen. As long as the polyps are not all receded into the stalk/skeleton, then it's doing fine. However you should know that it will recede everyday when it's had enough light. Also, at night, watch for it to put out it's feeding tentacles.

When should I experiment with a new position if it's not there?

Usually, it's not a good idea to be moving corals at all. Every single time you move it, even a 1/4", it will take time to readjust all over again. What you should try to do when adding corals to your tank is find out what lighting it was under where you got it from ( if you are actually there buying it then this is even better becasue you can actually see how it was placed). If your lighting is stronger, then you can acclimate it, but if your lighting is lower, then you can place it right up where you want it to stay right away. If you're adjusting it slowly, I'd say once a week move it closer.

My lights are under powered for the new tank (will be upgrading asap) but I have a 10w 50/50 on one side and a 23W 65K on the other. I've started him in the middle, maybe slightly towards the 50/50 side. Does that sound reasonable?

IMO, this is not very strong at all and you could place it in it's final spot right away.

And aside from it getting coated with slime, what should I be on the look out for as bad signs?

If you see tissue receding from the skeleton or disintegrating along with a brownish jelly developing, these are signs of trouble, but generally as long as it opens and closes it's polyps daily, then it is doing o.k. Watch for the polyps to be "fleshy" looking. Remember though, that it might not open as much while it is still acclimating itself.

Thanks for the info.

My lighting was for a smaller tank, so no it's not very powerful. I need to upgrade it, but I'm just starting to look into what I want to get. I might put a 70W MH over it after I build a canopy with fans.

I don't know if this tank is mature enough for coral, the last one I was just starting to slowly add stuff to it & it broke, so I kinda ran out of options. I was hoping to avoid a cycle, but I'm having a mini one.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.