Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Want to turn ten gallon into nano-reef!

Hello, I have never kept saltwater fish before, but I do actually want to start because I am going to be taking marine biology at the university of Dalhousie.

So I have a question about lighting and such. I want to use screw in compact flourecent lights. What do you recommend?

And do I need live sand? I understand live rock but I don't know if I can spend that much money on live sand.

Thanks

-Joel

Welcome

What you have to realize before venturing any further is this is a very expensive and time consuming hobby, many students find that after setting up a tank they have a hard time keeping it going for those reasons.

With that said, you can buy some screw in Coralife 20w bulbs, a few of these over a 10gal and you could keep some softies. You can go for a Coralife 65w retrofit (for $80) if you want something with more wattage and less problems.

Live sand=nm don't spend your money on that, you'll get life soon enough.

Make sure your tank has never had med's used in it. Get a powerhead and an Aquaclear filter and do weekly waterchanges and you won't need a skimmer. Do lots of research and figure out if on a students budget if you have the money or time to do it.

Believe me time is no issue, I have currently 5 tanks up, and a ten gallon with all of the equipment, waiting for some saltwater.

Where online can I buy those lights for a good canadian price? I will be looking for the 20w ones!

Well I wll also be switching substrate, and I know the med thing won;t be an issue

-joel

Originally posted by saltyjr
    Well I wll also be switching substrate, and I know the med thing won;t be an issue

-joel
    Ok so you haven't dosed any medications in the tank?

As Cake Fan said, welcome.

I will add my caution here as well - not to discourage you but so you go into this hobby knowing the risks - keeping a 10 gallon tank stable is 20x more difficult than keeping a 25 gallon tank stable.

I can't answer your light question as I've never looked for them. This forum's store has good prices (click on shopping at the top of the page). Other great places that I buy from are - http://www.jlaquatics.com/ or http://www.mops.ca/ . FWIW - J & L are running a monthly sale on light bulbs. I didn't check to see if the screw in ones were included.

Be sure to get good test kits - I use Salifert (a little more expensive but reliable). Red Sea and Hagen have a reputation for not getting repeatable results. There are other kits available. I suggest checking for feedback on the forums before purchasing. I suggest starting with ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, calcium, alk, phosphates and pH.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Vickie

so my 90gal with 30gal sump will be easier to maintain then my 20 gal nano?

The water parameters won't change as quickly, Fisherman, because you have a much greater volume of water to dilute the changes. Another way of looking at it is - it will take a LOT more of anything to change your water parameters. Your new 120 gallon system is 6 times your 20 gallon system so it will take about 6 times as much calcium to boost the level, etc.

Enjoy it

Vickie

I know none of you are trying to discourage me, that is why I am doing research like mad. And I have medicated the tank before, but it was a while ago, and was cleaned out since then, then the only thing I have used is melafix. Which I am sure won't harm anything.

-Joel

SO I really only need three new test kits as well.

-Joel

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast