Thread: sump size

sump size

i just bought a 130g tank with a stand. the tank is 6ft long. It will have 2 pannels at 2 ft from the sides. So the sump will be 3-4 ft long. I was told to go with a 20g sump. Is this enough? Everything will go in the sump:skimmer,20lb rock, heater, pump etc. If i skip the pannels in the stand, there will be no guarantee. Any advice?

On my 90 gallon tank, I have a 25 gallon sump. I try to run the sump about half full to allow for evaporation (don't want the pumps to run dry). When I simulate a power outage, the sump fills to less than 1 inch from the top. IMO this is too close for comfort so I am in the process of changing to a 50 gallon sump.

In your case, 20 gallon may be enough but I doubt it. A lot will depend upon the level that you will require to keep the rock and pumps under water and the amount of water that will drain into the sump during a power outage.

I don't understand this statement - "the tank is 6ft long. It will have 2 pannels at 2 ft from the sides. So the sump will be 3-4 ft long." If you have 2 panels at 2 ft from the sides. then each section will be 2 ft long. How will the sump be 3-4 ft long? Sorry, I just can't picture this.

Vickie

Imo, the same rule applies to sumps as to the main tank- as big as budget and space will allow. It gives you more water volume and space for filters, pumps etc.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I think that may prove to be a tight fit by the time you take into account the baffles etc. The sump/refuge should be as big as is possible to hold all the equipment you have now .. plus future additions. The largest possible remote sump / refuge will also increase the total water volume of the setup and lead to more stability. If the opening is 4 feet in the middle perhaps you can use 2 - 2 foot or a 36 and a 24 long for sump / refuge setup. slide in the 2 footer and move it aside and then slide in the 3 footer.They would have to be interconnected if only one return pump is in use but the total water volume of the system would be nicely increased. there would be some plumbing involved so the return pump can be in the middle between the tanks for easy access.
    My sump / refuge is in 2 parts for a similar reason.
    Rob

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vjvl51

I don't understand this statement - "the tank is 6ft long. It will have 2 pannels at 2 ft from the sides. So the sump will be 3-4 ft long." If you have 2 panels at 2 ft from the sides. then each section will be 2 ft long. How will the sump be 3-4 ft long? Sorry, I just can't picture this.

I will expalin better: the stand is 6ft long, in the stand there are 2 dividers at 2ft from the side. So there is one in the first 2ft then there is 4ft for the sump and then another divider 2ft.