Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sand bed cleaning critters

what are the best sand bed cleaning and sifting critters but must be reef safe(non sand bed destuctive)my sand bed is about 3.5 inches deep,mostly xxxfine ollite sand and 3/4 inch topping of fine live sand aragalive.

This is what I use to clean my sandbed:

conchs - strawberry's are the best (eats algae & cyano bacteria)
    cucumbers - black knobby and 2 tiger tails (eats mostly detritus)
    cerith snails - the more the merrier, I have 50 or more (eats algae)
    nasarious snails - I have a dozen or so (eats left over fish food, fish poo)
    Susan

do any of the critters you have destroy the life in the sand meaning eating every life form in the sand?

Nope, none of them. I have oodles of bristle worms and live mysis shrimp that help keep sand clean as well. Neither eats the other but all keep the sand stirred enough to prevent clumping. I don't have any hermit crabs.
    Susan

your conches strawberry do thet realy eat the cynobacteria?(the red slimy algea).i have a common hermit crab is he realy that destructive to the sand bed?

I have red legged hermits and red scarlet hermits. They seem to stay mainly on the rocks, cleaning there. Sometimes I see one on the sand, cleaning. I don't think they would destroy the sand bed since I never see them under the surface of the sand bed. I have plenty of pods for the mandarin and lots of bristle worms.

An assortment of snails (bumble bee, astrea, cerith, margarita, nassarius and turbos) with my tuxedo urchin completed my clean up crew. I have recently added a tiger tail cucumber, fighting conch and a black, long spined urchin. On order is 2 strawberry conches and a yellow cucumber.

Before you say - too many for a 90 gallon, I have a 60 gallon tank on order with Ivan. Some of these will go into the 60 and I will be getting more snails, etc once the 60 is on line.

As to destroying the sand bed, I have a 5 to 6 inch bed with very few dark areas (under the rocks). Most of the sand is still sand coloured except for the red areas from cyno.

Vickie

so what are you going to do about the cyno prob?

I rarely get cyno on top of the sand so I'm not too worried about it. It only shows against the glass in the sand bed (it's hard to increase flow there LOL). Eventually, we won't be able to see it since the sand bed will be hid by the trim on the stand. One reason I bought the fighting conch, cucumber and the strawberry conches was to see if they will clean it up.

Vickie

you know what im going to get the fighting conch,and the strawberry conch

Dr. Ron says that a full grown fighting conch requires 20 square feet of algae covered sand to live. I found that out after I bought the fighter. I know do the research first.

Vickie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast