Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alge

Alge

I'm having an on going problem with alge. Green dense tuffs/patches growing everywhere. I have about 5 hermit crabs,4 emerald crabs, 5-10 turbo snails. The tank is a 60g hexagon with 1- 175w MH 10 k on for 5 hrs, and 2- 18 inch atinics which come on for 5 hours, twice a day over lapping the MH. Just can't seem to get ahead of it's growth.
    Any ideas ????
    Do I need more of one types of cleaners then I have?
    This tank has 6 fish ranging from small to large, and about 12 corals.
    My 10g water changes are once every 7-8 days regularly. I do use iodine, and marine snow. Let me ask this, everything was doing fine before I used the marine snow months ago. Could the snow be helping the alge grow too...Should I stop using it???

There is an excellent chance the snow is helping the algae grow. It is probably driving up your nitrates. These may not be testing high because the algae is using them too fast. You don't have to stop using it but you have to moniter your levels better. However, liquid suspension foods should usually be used by more experienced reefers due to this reason (I refrain from using them...lol)

ohh,,,,just a thought too...my MH bulb is a 175 w 10 k, and is 5 months old, could it be expired ????

I don't think five months at 5 hrs a day would cause the bulb to expire that fast.
    Are you skimming? What fish do you have? What and how often do you feed them? What are you using for top-off water?

How long have your tank been running?
    Derik...

Hair algae usually hits around the 6 months mark. It's common but if it gets a good footing it can last a very long time. Try a long spined diadema urchin. They eat hair algae and will keep your tank clear of it afterwards. Worked great for my tank.
    Susan

Maybe dumb question but what is your water source?
    Man that goes to bed with itchy butt, wakes up with stinky finger!
    -Confusious

Water source is bottled distilled 5g jugs. I feed them twice a day, half a cube of brine shrimp with a little dry food in the morning. And at dinner time, Half a cube of brine shrimp, and Half a cube of krill shrimp with a little dried sea weed.
    Fish- Foxface rabbit, 5-6 inches in length..
    - Blue tang, 3-4 inches.
    - Clowns 3, 1-2 inches.
    - Hawkfish, 1-2 inches.
    - 6line Wrasse, 1-2 inches.
    - Blue cheek Gobby, 3-4 inches.
    - Orange spotted Goby, 2 inch.
    - Firefish 2, 1-2 inches.

Hair algae at this stage is pretty normal. I think you'd almost have to be starving your tank to avoid it. I'd just get an urchin and wait it out.
    Susan

I picked up a pincushion urchin, and some alge eating rebra hermits. I've always like urchin's but hear they will push corals over....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast