Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello, new guy here... Couple of quick questions/concerns?

Hello all,

I've always wanted a saltwater aquarium (actually any aquarium) for many many years. I got really luckily and inherited a used full system about 3 weeks ago(tank was running for more than a year). I brought over all the water, equipment, and livestock with me.

Contents:
    55 Gallon
    100lbs Live rock
    2 yellow tang
    2 blue chromis
    2 clowns
    1 african starfish
    1 cleaner shrimp
    2 x white bulbs
    2 x blue bulbs
    100 protein skimmer
    filter (not sure of the make but it has two bio wheels)

I have been doing all the reading I can and have finished The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide by Michael S. Paletta.

I however have so many quick questions, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction / confirm I am doing things correctly. I'd hate to kill the livestock as I'm just a newbie ;-)

So thanks in advance. Here goes,

1. Currently feeding the fish the flake food it came with (just says Marine food) once / day in the morning. Just a little shake of the can.

2. I turn on the lights at 8am and off at 8pm.

3. When the water level drops an inch, I refill will room temp. distilled bottled water (store bought) back to the top.

4. Once every two weeks I remove about 5 gallons and replace with saltwater premixed water (mixed with distilled water).

5. What do a do about the brown algae on the walls of the tank? It has been increasing over the last two weeks.

6. Temperature: roughly 76/78 but goes as high as 80 during the day as it get sunlight from the window.

7. I would like to add more coral and fish. What do I need to learn before introducing anything to the tank. I believe knowledge first... ;-)

8. Are there any sites that ship livestock to Ontario? I can't seem to find one.

9. Tested for Nitrate, it was 10

10. Tested salt it was 1.023

Thanks and look forward to joining the community here.

First, welcome (I can't do the banner thing :-))

Reading and more reading is a great first step.

Can you give any more details about the lighting and skimmer (e.g. make, are they VHO, PC or NO bulbs)?

In terms of additional fish, you might need to look at what is currently in the tank. Most people will likely say that 2 Yellow tangs in a 55G tank is over-stocked. Many people would say that even 1 tang is too many. Keeping the Tangs might make it hard to add any new fish.

Aquaria Canada will ship livestock in Canada (check out the shopping icon on the menu bar above). There are other stores too (e.g. J&L in Vancouver). Where abouts in Ontario are you located?
    Nick

Welcome to AC, as you can see I am also new here.

The brown algea may be cynobacteria (is it kind of like a slime or a film?). cynobacteria is common when a tank cycles, and your tank is probably going through a cycle since you just moved it. Give your tank time and the algea should start to disapear once your tank settles in. Also maybe clean your protein skimmer just to make sure it is working at it's optimum level.

I have order coral from both www.jlaquatics.com and www.canadianreef.com . I recommend both these sites.

Good Luck with the new tank. also you may want to check out www.reefcentral.com another great place for info!
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

liv
    Hi and welcome, read on this site, most awnsers can be found with a little search.

saltwater is a bit low.. try to get it at 1.026
    nitrates.. wait til it indicates 0 before adding anything.

what are you using for filtration and lighting ?

other then that, lucky you !!
    wish I could inherit 100lbs of liverock and rest !!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Liv,

Nitrates will always be above 0.. Nitrites should be 0...

mix up your food, flakes are ok...but there is much better food out there to buy

Thanks for the quick advice! Much appreciated.

How do I figure out what type of lighting I have? Will there be marking on the housing/bulbs?

It should be marked on the bulbs somewhere. Also, look for a ballast providing power to the lights. The ballast will often indicate the type of lights (or, if you post the name, someone will be able to figure it out).
    Nick

Kooma,
    [welcome2] to Aquariacanada

There's your official welcome banner!!

As others mentioned, this site is also an online store and I have personally bought livestock here and can say they are always in great shape, along with getting some really nieces specimens of corals.

Cableguy mentioned that the algae might be cyanobacteria, although it is most likely not. Cyano will usually grow in a mat form and while there are really many colors of it, in our tanks the most common color will be a dark burgandy/maroon coloring. This is actually not an algae but a type of bacteria. from you saying it is on the walls and brown leads me to say it is not cyano that you have, but rather a common type of film algae. This type is perfectly safe although unsightly. Most people just clean it off the viewing panels of glass and leave it on the back wall ( or sides if you don't look through it). Many of the fish and snails actually like eating this and will pick at it.
    As to the equipment, as others asked it would be good if you could supply some more specifics about what you have.
    I agree that you should vary the food you feed as variety is the best for overall health.
    I agree with Nick that while 2 tangs is way overstocked on a 55, lots of people will say that even 1 on that tank is not really good.
    Try and keep your salinity up at 1. 025 and bring it up slowly over a few days.
    You didn't mention anything about a cleanup crew. A cleanup crew usually consists of invertebrates such as snails ( many and a variety would be good), Sea cucumbers, hermit crabs ( I personally don't like using them as they often kill and steal the shells from snails), brittle stars, etc... These guys are general detritus and algae eaters and will help to cleanup any leftover food, algae and whatnot on the rockwork, glass, sand, etc...

liv
    you are right Fisherman
    .. my bad.. read wrong.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast