Smile Hello and Quick Lighting Question

Hello Ottawa (and other area) Aquaphilles!

I've been lurking on this board for aprox. three months now, decided it would be a good idea to finally do a quick hello and maybe ask a question.

I purchased a Jebo 48" PC setup off e-bay because the price was tough to argue with. Its 220 W total power, currently running 2 10K bulbs and 2 actinics. The lights are pretty cheap, but I plan to replace soon enough. I'm also suplimenting with a 20W Actinic Light (T5) for 240 W total.

My question is - using this setup over my 30 gallon, can you forsee any difficulties keeping any type of live stock? I plan on starting with softies etc. but would like to move into some more advanced LPS and SPS as I go. Any feedback on the Jebos is appreciated as well, little late to change my mind but if I'm going to need to upgrade, I might as well start saving now :-P

Thanks in advance for responses!

P.S. If any one in the Ottawa area has any extra liverock/rubble they need to get rid of let me know

Welcome to AC.

1) How long is your tank? Aren't the lights going to overhang the tank?

2) Not all 'watts' are equal. a 20W T5 gives off much more light than a 2oW NO bulb. So, you may have even more light than you thought.

3) I currently have 2x75W VHO over a 29G. The advice I received is that this is enough my most softies and LPS and a few select SPS. But, not for clams or most interesting SPS. I'll let others with more experience comment about your set-up and SPS :-)
    Nick

Hmm I guess tank measurements would have been a good bit of info to have....

Tank is only 36" Long, so I do get a bit of overhang, but I've positioned the lights *just so*, so that I only get maybe a 1/2 inch of bulb overhang on either side. I was thinking about removing the bulbs and ballasts from the stock hood and custom fitting to my own DIY, but when the lights arrived I found the overhand to be acceptable.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

for the more light loving corals, you may need Metal Halide lights. So just make sure that each coral you get will be happy under those lights.
    Albert
    My Photos

Thanks for the reply, Alrha.

It was my understanding that the type of light had little to do with it, rather the lumens output or relative brightness and temperature determined viability. Is this correct or have I been misled?

The references I have seen online for Watts/Gallon seem to vary widely per the individual and tank depth so I was hoping someone with experience keeping Clams and/or SPS with a similar setup could comment.

Anyone with PCs keeping clams/SPS? What kind of wattage/tank depths do you have?

I have a 10 gallon nano tank with 96 watts of PC over it. I have many zoo's, Lps, with 2 acro frags and a montipora capricornus in the tank. All the SPS are placed at the very top of my rock work so they get the most amount of light possible.

I have had them for about 4 months now and the 2 acros have grown only a little bit, (not very much), one of them turned from a drab brow color to a nice light blue. and the other, now has a tinge of green to it. The Montipora turned form a neon orange to a crappy brown color but that one has grown alot, almost doubled in size.

These corals seem to be happy, but are definatly not thriving. I am going to move them to my 220 gallon soon where they will be under 400 watt halides. Hopefully the Monti will regain his color under the halides.

I am sure you would be able to keep SPS alive in your tank, but they just would'nt (thrive) or be as happy as they could be. There just isn't enough light there.

If you think you have to try some SPS in that tank go with lower light demanding species like montipora. Same with a clam if you have to have a clam try a lower light clam like the squamosa, and keep him close to the top, and make sure to feed him well. HTH
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Good feedback on the PCs Cableguy, think I'll limit the tank to LPS and softies until I can afford (read - convince my wife) to upgrade to some halides.