How much flow does an acro need?

Hey all,

Just got back from MASO 8, it was fun & cool to put some faces to the names.

Anyway I ended up with one of the acro frags. I've got him as close to the lights as he's going to get & stay wet, but this puts it right in the path of my power head.

I read they like high flow, but is that too much? I can see it put out it's polyps already so I'm guessing that's a good sign.

Cheers!

No Coral should be in the DIRECT path of a flow device. Have the jet stream pass over top of it. There will still be enough water movement caused by the water that is drawn in the jet stream to do the job. Flow should also not be constantly from one direction if at all possible. The coral will atrophy on the low flow side in these cases.
    Rob

My acro's have done noticeably better when i replace my 2 hagen 802's with 3 mj 1200's on a natural wave timer, they really seem to like the alternating current, if you can pick up a wave timer on sale some time i would recommend it, and the maxijets also works better then the 802's because the current isn't as direct
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

As long as the water is not directly hitting it ALL the time use a devide like the Reef-rat to change the water flow up a bit.. If you use a device like this.. then any flow is GREAT for acros.. more the better.. as long as the flow is not ripping off there skin.. or ripping them off the rock

What type of Acro is it and what type of lighting do you have?
    As they generally need high flow and high light, there are some variations.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I agree with Rob, and have witnessed the damage a 1500 l/ph powerhead can cause blowing directly onto colonies when one fell in my tank causing branches on 3 colonies to bleach. I have found that no direct current is best for SPS corals in general. I had 35X tank volume turnover in my tank and still managed to avoid any direct current to overwhelm a colony. Good luck with keeping the acro healthy and hopefully colourful ( 400W radiums would help impdaddy )

Andy.

Nice to see you on AC Andy, it's about time you showed yourself.:beer:

and hopefully colourful
    How do you know what the color of the acro will be, I see them in the stores sometimes, and the tips are blue or pink and the branches are brown, is that the end color, or is it possible to determine somehow the potential color?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

My lighting is too low, I'm hoping it'll hang in there until I get an MH system in place. (40W PC over a 10g nano)

I moved the frag to another spot where it'll not get hit by the power head & it doesn't appear to reduce the amount of light it's getting by much.

I ended up with the acro frag simply because when it came to be my turn, all there was left were finger leathers & acro so I got one of each.

I've since found out finger leather = bait for hell crabs & I've pulled 2 more out of the tank, but the poor leather has taken a beating.

Anyway I suspect the best I can hope for is that it lives as a rather non descript brown acro until I upgrade my lights & that's what I'm aiming for.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Tiff,
    Figuring out the coloring of acros comes with time and experience. You getto know the different types and color combos that go along with each type. Of course, there is always that rare odd piece that is unusual and this is always a pleasant surprise. Lastly, no tank is the same and even if you have the exact same light setup as another person, there is a very big chance that the coral will still be different in both tanks. I, along with some friends are always interchanging frags and quite often they completely change in the different tanks even though lighting is similar.
    Once you get to know acros more, you can buy what I like to call a "sleeper" coral and while it was butt ugly brown in the store, it can become very pretty in a good system.

How do you know the 'sleeper' corals from the 'plain boring brown' ones?
    I'm thinking of getting acros in the future and this info is very interesting to me.