Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tap water safe?

Tap water safe?

Hi all!

I'm the new kid (In my head at least) on the block.
    I had a question about tap water quality in gatineau. Is it safe to use in a reef aquarium. I know I used it for many years (ago) in FW setup without any probs. If no, can you please point me in the right direction.
    I am currently seting up a 50g reefer. My stuff should be in from jla tomorrow. JOY!!!

Thanks in advance!

Pat

Hi Mouftic,

I would not use tap water for a reef aquarium as there are many chemicals, although in very small amounts, in tap water. As the water evaporates, all these things stay in you tank and you have to add more tap water to replace the evaporated water and in the space of a few months your water quality will go downhill. I would look into a Reverse Osmosis unit or RO/DI to filter your tap water before you put it in your tank- it will save you a lot of money in the long run. The best price I've seen is here on A.C. You can also buy R.O water or distilled water if you prefer.

I absolutely agree with Marty - use RO water. You can get a decent RO unit from Ivan on thru this board for a great price, or just buy it at a reputable store like WaterMart. It costs about $0.75 per gallon.

I have an RO/DI unit and a tds meter. I also have a 5g Labrador well water bought in a store. I decided to test it along with my tap water. My tap water reads 150, the well water reads 145 and my RO/DI Unit water 20. Just go buy a RO/DI and forget about that so called pure ro water that is a ripoff
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Thanks guys!

I will add a RO/DI to my ever expanding list of expenses!!!

Hey Mouftic,

Until you get an RO/DI unit, Loblaws sells RO/DI by the gallon.

You have to have a container with the size clearly marked on it & it has to be an even multiple of their chart, but it's about $0.75 - $.80 a gallon.

I only have a Nano right now so I buy $1.59 worth about once a week for my partals & I'm good.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Mouftic,
    I live in Gatineau and it's the worst place for water. I thought of letting people know of my experiences with the Gatineau tap water. For some reason, there are huge amounts of phosphates for some reason. I had an algae bloom in the water and could not get rid of it. I started using distilled bottle water at "La Goutte d'Eau" on Maloney. It worked great, and I'm happy to see you wont make the same mistake I did.
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

I use tap water for my FW Discus tank without much problems, put it's a planted tank so the phospates aren't as unwanted as they'd be in a reef.

I do know people that use Gatineau water for SW tanks, but they all process it in some form before adding it to thier tank. Sometimes taking over a week before using it. None of these tanks have an algae problem, but I'm too lazy to do all the work they do.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Tap water usually contains chlorine and the phosphates are usually too high so its out of the question if not filtered and the water should stand 24hrs even with an RO/DI unit(if adding large amounts at a time cuse some of the chlorine does make it through). You can get one of these units (75GPD)on e-bay for about 60$US(got minee for 38$). When connecting it up you must only use the water comming out of the RO part the other filters have usually some organic based filter material and this adds phosphates to your water.
    You can buy a cheap solenoid valve at an appliance store (washer Part) and use a regular timer to add water to your sump directly.
    PERMISSION : Somthing you need if you want to do it again, not required if you only want to do it once...

I went ahead and bought the RO/DI unit from aquasafe and am now waiting (and waiting....) for it to slowly fill my tank. I can also use the unit for drinking water (Had to give my girlfriend a reason for it more than my aquarium )

Hopefully it will be done in a couple of days!

Thanks all for your inputs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast