Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hermits killed or died?

I bought 25 small blue leg hermits and 5 big ones. When i put them in my tank, i saw 2 bodies floating around (small ones).
    I also think that some of the small guys never were in their shels. The guy who sold them to me gave me another 10 which were alive because i checked every one. Now 2 weeks later i noticed that some of my small ones are dead or were killed . like 10 of them. Tonight i came home and 2 of the big ones were fighting and trying to kill each other. I seperated them but they went back at it 3 times. I then swung one of them at the other end of the tank. End of story.

Now, do hermits kill each other?

Is the mortality rate high, med, low?

Do i need to put extra shells; if so why?

Can they starve?

My tank is 3 weeks old

You should have extra shells in there for them, I know they will kill snails for their shells, So I imagine its the same for killing other crabs for shells. They need the extra shells due to growth. And mine crawl over the rock and on the sand and eat what they find. When I 1st got them and there wasn't much in there for them to eat I fed them flakes. As for their life spans, I am not too sure, provided you give them the extra shells and so on, I would imagine they would live long enough. Hope this helps!

3 weeks is a bit early to add any live stock. What is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

I just started another 20g and my ammonia is very high.....I will wait another week to check if it has come down and see if the nitrite and nitrate levels start to go up.

if your ammonia is high they will die, and if you dont have enough variety of shells in there for them to grow into they will kill each other.

you have to have extra shells, no question about it...as they grow they need bigger homes to move into

what are you levels like?

mike did you acclimate the crabs? you need extra shells because they grow,iv put extra medium shells and overnight the crabs where in there new homes.ask eric for extra shells.or buy them at big als.

Ammonia is 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 2
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Ammonia is 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 2

I dont know about all you guys but i havent had an algea boom n'or bad water and i havent made a water change and i have 2 fish. I suppose that the cured LR was a good move. I also keep my VHO's on only 3h/day.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

hummmm how about your aclimation?

if the levels are good there is no reason why they would die other then killing each other for shelter

acclimation...please explain? They are probably killling each other when i am not there except for those doa's

Acclimation is the procedure for introducing them to your tank. Normally with inverts you would set up a drip to slowly get them used to the water conditions in your tank.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast