Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Depot Sand

Home Depot Sand

Hello,

I went to the local Ottawa Home Depot to look for some sand for my refugium, and found some King's Play Sand for I think 5-6 bucks a bag. The cover states that it is washed beach sand. I decided to check it out and bought one bad. I did the vinegar test and did not observe any fizzing, leading me to believe that it is arganite based sand. The size range of the sand particles seem a bit small. I am wondering if anyone out there used this King's playsand for their tank, or has any objections/recommendations of this/other types of playsand.

Thanks, Newty.

Ummm if it doesn't fizz its silica sand.. non silica sand fizzes..

you want non-silica sand in your tank..

Why not use silica sand? There is no evidence that it is harmful in any way. I know of several tanks set up with it that have no problems. Dr. Ron Shimek on RC has disputed the fears of silica sand for years now. It just isn't a problem.
    Susan

i've heard "Silica sand causes algae blooms aswell as being inert" but non-silica sand is a ph buffer aswell there is no silica(glass) additives so not so much algae on substrate.

so you see non-silica has 2 up on silica based sand..

go to builders warehouse they have bomix playsand for 5$ a bag... its some good stuff i heard great things about it!!

Would anyone have an idea of how long a curing period before introducing this sand to a up and running reef. Or just the standard wash rinse and distribute.
    PERMISSION : Somthing you need if you want to do it again, not required if you only want to do it once...

Hey there,

I've spoken with HD about this sand and it is washed and has no chemical additives. There's also another sand that HD carries (at least here in Kingston) that has a nicer look than the playsand. It's Stone Mason Decor Sand. It's 100% Silica sand and is much whiter than the play sand. I've spoken with that company as well and it is washed with no chemical additives. This sand should be rinsed well as it has a strong plastic smell from the bag. If you prefer to go with an aragonite based sand, Home Depot in Ithica, NY carries Southdown/Old Castle Play sand which is better than the silica and looks much nicer. They currently only have a few bags left but are getting another shipment in very soon.

Hope that Helps

Troy
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

I've been using this sand "Stone Mason Decor Sand" from HD in my reef tank for almost a year with no ill effect.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Actually in order for aragonite sand to actually be beneficial as a buffer the pH in your tank would have to be about 6.75. This is the basis of how a calcium reactor works.

The thing about silica sand causing algae blooms is kind of an old wives tale. It's been repeated so much that most people take it for granted that it must be true and I thought so at first too. Disolved silica in your water would be a problem but sand doesn't dissolve or leach silica. It is made of the same thing as the glass in your glass tank is and that doesn't dissolve either.

As long as it's clean, silica sand is perfectly fine to use in a reef.
    Susan

I have been using the Stone Mason sand without any algae problems that are out of the ordinary. The only trouble is I have to be careful when I clean the front glass. If the magnet picks up any sand particles it with scratch the glass very easily.

I'm setting up a 500 gal tank with a deep sand bed, I need about 800 pounds of sand. If I go with reef sand Aragonite it's going to cost me about $50.00 for a 40 pound bag.
    Is this sand your talking about good for only the refuge or can it be used in the display tank? Could it be mixed with the Aragonite reef sand?

I don't want to have any problems due to sand! But then again it's going to hurt to pay $1000 for sand.

Joseph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast