Thread: What is this ?

What is this ?

Hi all,

Now this is a super newbie question and I am asking this at the risk of embarassing myself but I guess I'll ask given the potential consequences

I noticed that small strands of (what I am assuming may be some type of algae) what looks like clear (kinda like plastic) threads are growing on my liverock... they look stiff and are about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch in length... not sure if this is something common or not and bad or not... wish i had a digital camera... any idea what this may be and possibly a pic online so i could confirm ?

So far I've also found green striped mushrooms and what may be a very small 3 armed bristle starfish (however it seems to be hiding in a rock now aside from one small end of its tentacle).

thanks,
    Nick.

ijo
    that clear thing sounds like a glass anemone... they are known as a pest but I have a couple in my main setup and kinda like them... just make sure they don't spread.. I've read they can take over your tank like aptasia.

IJO

it looks slightly like the following only they are single branches growing in different places on the rock all by themselves... with no root/body

These are actually hard and break off when i touch, I'm gonna assume they are calcium deposits from something dead and not gonna worry.

Actually, these are a type of sponge believe it or not. I also have them and they are quite common. Leave them be... they don't grow big at all and it's kinda cool to see them as they grow into interesting branching shapes.