Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: siphoning??

siphoning??

I'm try to siphon off some cyano bacteria. How exactly is that accomplished? I tried to use one of those gravel cleaner siphon things but the cyano was too heavy and didn't rise to the top.

I'm not 100% I understand how to siphon in an aquarium.

Any methods or tips would be appreciated.

The gravel cleaners are too wide. It's much easier with a long thinner tube, about 1/2" is good. I found some 1/2" rigid tubing and put a length of that on the end I put in the tank, it's easier to control. The longer the tubing the less likely it will lose the siphon. Another tip is to use the flow from a powerhead to start the siphon. Don't be tempted to start it by mouth, you can get very sick from tank water. Doesn't happen every time but I have heard some horror stories.
    Susan

good point Flame .. Our tank water is teaming with bacteria of all sorts. As clean as the water in out tanks looks it is likely more dangerous then the water in our toilets. And we don't risk getting mouth fulls of water out of our toilets now do we.
    Rob

I guess clear tubing would be best? easier to see the water moving.

I'm also having one tough time getting the flow to start. I thought that you just submerge the entire tube, hold one end closed with a finger, then bring that end out of the tank into the bucket.. it doesn't always work. I think I'm missing something or is it always that hard to get it moving.

take flames advise and use a LONG hose. Yes clear tubing is best. When i do this sort of thing I use a soft piece on a rigid piece so I can control the flow rate by pinching the soft part of the tube. you can likely salvage the water if you direct it through a net and some floss. If however a water change is due ... then ditch it.
    Rob

How often do you guys syphon the substrate? If you do and have fine sand, doesn't it all lift up creating a sand storm in your throw-away water?
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

How often do you guys syphon the substrate? If you do and have fine sand, doesn't it all lift up creating a sand storm in your throw-away water?
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

it is best to avoid mixing too often or mixing it up too much by siphoning too deeply. what you want to do is just suck off the stuff that is sitting on the top of the sand. I am and will always be a firm believer that the less you mess around inside the tank the better so IMO keep this type of activity to a minimum.
    Rob

Same here. Don't mess with it if you don't have to. I only siphon it if there is "summer cyano" on it. Other than that never.

After a while you get good at sucking up the algae without getting much sand too.
    Susan

I must be a country boy......I've been starting it by mouth everytime. Must be those years of syphoning gas thats tuff'n'ed me up !! I use a small diameter hose and a tooth brush to scrub as I scrub I hold the hose close so everything gets sucked down to a pail.
    One thing to remember, don't think you can get close to your bubbles and frog/hammers with the syphon. move them out of the way first. I got an inch away from a large bubble and sucked it for a split second, well in a day I lost the bubble (which was my prize !!)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast