TDS meter readings and water tests?

I purchased a 6 stage ro/di unit and a tds meter. I then decided to test my house water, bottled water 5g from natural source and my ro/di. My results were:

House:148
    natural source: 145
    ro/di: 25 i got a reading of 9 the first time.

Now what i am asking is what is the difference between the water i buy and my house water? shouldn't the bottled water be really good, almost like the ro/di since there is chlorine in my house water? can someone explain me what tds actually represents other than totally dissolved substance. Is is this like PPM?

the bottled water is "natural source" so it is likely in contact with rock somewhere in it background. That's why it will have a higher number. True spring water along with some well waters will have even higher reading.
    Rob

So i dont get it....This so called bottled water is no good for my tank.....Why do people spend $$$$ to buy a 5g to put in a dispencer at home when their tap water is just as good. So i suppose measuring TDS is really pointless since it doesn't give any true indications regarding chlorine and all the bad stuff that can be in the water.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

there are 3 types of bottled water. "natural" or "spring" water, "distilled water" and "RO" water. what you want to be using is the "distilled water" or the RO water. TDS meters do not indicate chemicals that are in the water. just Total dissolved solids. The natural waters are considered to be a lot more chemical free and that is why people buy it.
    Rob

OH and your TDS meter is VERY useful for confirming that your water purifying unit is working and the diaphragm is or is not due for a change.
    Rob

i rechecked my rodi water and the tds says it's at 2. I think you have to measure the water at room temperature
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Mike you also have to consider the container you are using to collect the rodi water for testing. Since ro water is so pure, it will litterally absorb stuff from the container if it isn't perfectly clean. Also, the water gets a little better from an ro unit after it has run for a couple of minutes and the membrane has become completely pressurised.
    Temp. shouldn't make that much difference in terms of tds levels
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

mike you did a good move in buying the rodi unit with a tds meter.

Reefmutt is correct ... warmer fluids have a greater capacity to hold more dissolved solids but the TDS meter will only register the solids that are there regardless of the temperature of the fluid at the time of the test.
    Rob

Well wen i tested the water it wasd in a glass made out of glass