Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

90G Update----What is this ?

Hello All,

Besides the light brown algae, there is this pink/light red growing in a few small patches. I just sooo worried about the algae because my last tank setup was overrun with cyno., the red harry stuff......

Thanks for the input...

Kennyv

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    The red stuff looks like cyano.

This is entirely normal for a new tank. It will go through algae blooms.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Once your tank age's the cyno should go away, as long as you keep the nutrients low.

most new tanks go through a cyno outbreak it's very common.
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Do you think I should medicate now, while its just begining?

Kennyv

ijo
    I would stay away from medicating your tank... there is no need for 99% of the problems we have in our systems.

What type of lighting do you have over this tank? How many hours per day do you haev them turned on? do you think the lights might need changing? are you skimming? could you be over feeding? what type of water are you using?

The chances of it coming back are high if you medicate now instead of trying to find the cause of the problem... I agree with TM and Cableguy... it comes and goes as long as your not doing something that will feed the algae and have it spread like a weed. HTH

IJO

Hello IJO,

The current setup I have is ALL new with the exception of 40 - 50G of water I kept. All the pumps/powerheads I used I cleaned well before I put them back into action...

I have 2 26W power compact 50/50's and 2-15 watt Envoro Lite power compacts. My lights are on for 11 hrs. per day. I am skimming with the crappy Prism from Red Sea! I am feeding 5 Damsals, 3 Green Spotted Puffers and 2 larger Hermit crabs once daily. Specifically a few flakes, Mysis frozen shrimp and frozen Bloud worm. I feed one small cube of the shrimp and the bloud worm that measures about 1/4" square.

I use tap water that has been sitting for at least 4 days. I know everyone likes to use RO or mineral water, but I think Calgary's water is quite good. I used to bread Red Eyed Tree Frogs and used ONLY tap water for them. For all who don't know frogs are likely the MOST sensitive animal to water quality.

Thanks for your help....

Kennyv

How big is the tank & how long has it been running?
    How much live rock do you have?

I personally don't have a problem with tap water, but you have to realise you're feeding your algae every time you do a partial. You *could* also be putting trace elements into your tank that may cause problems later and *may* limit what you can keep healthy. None of these are absolutes.

Leaving the water sit allows for a lot of the chlorine / chlormalide to detoxify, but you still likely have minerals and possibly heavy metals that can cause issues.

Many people have solved their cyno issues by switching to RO water and doing nothing else different. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Anyway, as everyone else in the thread stated you don't really have a problem yet. Do a partial & see what happens.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Hello Krugar,

Thnaks for the reply. The tank is about 90G. There is about 120lbs. of Tufa base rock and about 8lbs. of live rock. I re-built the tank a week ago today and put the live rock in the next day. I know I have to but much more live rock!! $$$$

I did a partial change of 8G on Tuesday this week. I will do the same again tomorow.

Any other thoughts???

Thnaks

Kennyv

A week's pretty short to add fish IMHO. Even if you were running before you'd still have a short cycle & I'd bet money you're still in it.

Watch your water chemistry since you have fish in the tank. You may have to do additional water changes. I don't know that I'd do another partial so quick.

Test your water & see if it's needed. If somethings out of whack enough to stress the fish then do a partial, otherwise I'd wait until the next scheduled water change.

Since you have 8 lbs of live rock to populate 90 lbs of tufa, that's going to take time & it's likely one of the issues behind your cyno problems the last time around.

It'll get there

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Add more LR as soo as I can??? Wait another few days to change ou another 8G, every 7 days?

Wait out the cyno?

Thanks for your imput......

Kennyv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast